Head of Experience Design
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal’ telecoms company. It’s a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It’s important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. Us folk at giffgaff are a spirited and disruptive bunch, not every now and then but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
The Role and the Team:
The Head of Experience Design is responsible for the delivery of iconic experiences that strike a balance between our members’ intent and the business’s needs. It’s a strategic role to align the products roadmap and guide the product teams to reach a good understanding of the user problems and opportunities, and design balanced and elegant solutions amidst constraints in the technological framework.
This role requires the experience and mind-set of a true leader, leading our User Experience strategy and taking our business on a journey of continuous and rapid improvement. This involves building, mentoring and growing a highly performing and collaborative team; inclusive of Content writing, UI design, Design System and Product design, pivotal roles in the discovery, design and delivery of iconic user experiences, being they embedded in every Product team.
The Head of Experience Design must lead the team towards a unified vision. You will also be responsible for instilling confidence in product teams in order for them to trust the voice of Product Designers and feel empowered to articulate their own judgments and preferred choices.
You’ll be tasked with ensuring that content and design practices, annual product targets, base growth targets, member satisfaction and other KPIs are met.
Being a pivotal cog in the delivery of the giffgaff mission, you’ll establish strong relationships with key stakeholders across the business, become a lighthouse for member experience and be also responsible for the identification and cultivation of business opportunities in relation to the product, understanding and giving response to the members’ requirements.
The Head of Experience Design will report directly to the Chief Commercial Officer.
Key aspects of the role:
- Build, mentor and grow a highly performing and collaborative team.
- Lead the Product Designers team. They will work embedded as part of the product teams, serve as pivotal drivers of the experience discovery and delivery, apply Lean UX methodologies and enable the design of iconic experience.
- Lead UX Research being the voice of our members and facilitate a channel where designers and product teams can listen members and prospects, understand their problems and needs, validate their ideas and generate insights.
- Lead the Content team and content strategies to ensure that the product narratives, messages and editorial channels are supported.
- Lead the Design team and champion the creation of a Design System based upon best practices and optimisation insights.
- Drive the adoption of the Design System across all giffgaff teams as a vehicle of brand consistency and increased delivery throughput, key factor for the application of Lean methodologies
- Measure and analyse members’ engagement and feedback working closely with the Community and Member Services teams.
- Research the market for new innovative tools and solutions that can be relied on to improve the experience.
- Collaborate with the development and technology department in developing and executing new features and applications.
- Leverage analytics as a primary driver of user experience and design decisions, relying on data to form hypotheses surrounding usability and emotions, and work iteratively to shape and reshape the experience.
- Advocate for design-led thinking across the business, Lean UX methodologies and rapid prototyping, with a strong desire to co-create, and facilitate this type of collaboration.
- Be recognised as a UX leader within the industry and share out loud giffgaff success stories, establishing our business as a global reference for user experience and design.
- Be also a reference inside the business and inspire by providing points of view from global UX leaders and companies.
Previous experience must have’s:
- Experience building and managing cohesive, collaborative and highly performing teams.
- Proven experience of end-to-end product design across web (Mobile First) and apps for iOS & Android.
- Well-versed in Design Thinking and Lead UX methodologies, including Design Sprints.
- Ability to make decisions based upon data and insights.
- Good understanding of AB testing and personalisation platforms.
- Confident verbal and visual communicator with ability to influence at all levels.
- Capable of working effectively across functions and geographies.
- Confident with an excellent eye for design and attention to detail.
- A natural problem solver.
- Comfortable with accepting feedback and managing constructive criticism.
Previous experience nice-to-have’s:
- An understanding of the telco and finance market.
- Experience of Atlassian JIRA & Atlassian Confluence.
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought-after UK companies highly regarded for its innovative online collaborative model and recognised numerous times including uSwitch Which? and Mobile Industry awards.
In return for your outstanding efforts, you’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. At giffgaff, we believe that hard work should be supported and recognised.
UX Design Lead
Closing 26 July 2020
- BP Plc
Closing 12 June 2020
Want more Head of Experience Design jobs?
Want to find more Design Director jobs, Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, Digital Design Director jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.