Head of Content Planning & Editorial
Are you a champion of great storytelling, through sparking prose and compelling photos, graphics and video? Do you want to be a part of a team that’s aiming to make GSK famous for science? Then we want to hear from you.
GSK is looking for a head of content planning and editorial to join its research and development communications team. Part of the Communications & Government Affairs function (CGA), the team is responsible for ensuring GSK’s science is told to employees, media, investors and the wider world. In this role you will partner with communications colleagues to plan, commission, co-create and deliver content that tells our innovation story and can be deployed across different audiences and channels, both online and offline. They’ll be audience-focused; have a great nose for a story; be fiendishly well-organised with a disciplined approach to planning and delivering content; and understand the value of measuring and monitoring performance.
Maybe you’re a journalist or editor by background, a creative marketer – or something totally different. If you’ve got the skills, ideas and passion to create content which will help make GSK famous for science, then get in touch!
Our CEO, Emma Walmsley, has made strengthening our pharmaceuticals pipeline her key focus, as part of our corporate Innovation priority. Last year, she appointed Dr Hal Barron as GSK’s Chief Scientific Officer to lead this transformation. In July 2018, Hal set out a new approach to R&D that harnesses the power of Science x Technology x Culture (‘SxTxC’). You will be accountable for working across the communications team generating Innovation content to create a unified content strategy and calendar, which tells a consistent and compelling story across SxTxC. The appointed candidate will then work alongside colleagues in Pharmaceuticals CGA and Corporate Media & Digital to execute the plan, delivering strong engagement and impact on our reputation amongst external audiences and employees. Ultimately, this will help to make GSK famous for innovation.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Generating and delivering creative content in support of the new R&D strategy, including working closely with R&D communications colleagues to mine stories which bring SxTxC to life.
- Work closely with colleagues in Corporate Media & Digital to design, deliver and measure the impact of appropriate activities to drive effective understanding of GSK’s new R&D strategy.
- Leading all editorial planning across the SxTxC/Innovation narrative, making sure of full alignment with GSK’s two other corporate priorities – Performance and Trust.
- Developing a holistic editorial strategy/planning capability spanning both internal and external communications to ensure a balanced, engaging view of the GSK Innovation narrative/SxTxC is delivered to our audiences.
- Driving consistent use of core key Innovation messages, ensuring simplicity in copy and enforcing strict editorial control.
- Managing delivery of quarterly message map/key themes to CET and Pharma senior leaders, which tells our Innovation story beyond the traditional milestones.
- Setting targets for Innovation campaign, monitoring performance versus targets and evaluating impact of the activities.
- Key point of coordination with Corporate Media & Digital and Corporate Internal Engagement teams.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 8 or more years of digital communications experience.
- Experience producing content for internal and external audiences through online and offline.
- Strong and dynamic communicator with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to influence decision-making at a strategic level in a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills.
- Understanding of the power of imagery and video for digital storytelling.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master’s degree or MBA
- Expertise with existing and emerging digital communications channels along with the ability to create momentum and buzz.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
Closing 11 December 2019
- RSA Group
Want more Head of Content Planning & Editorial jobs?
Want to find more Planner jobs, Content Director jobs, Content Manager jobs, Editorial Director jobs, Head of Content jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.