Harmony Breakdown Artist / Character Designer
About The Role:
We are on the lookout for a talented Harmony Breakdown Artist / Character Designer for an exciting 2D production here at Blue Zoo! The hired candidate will be required to design characters from rough concept through to final approved artwork in addition to creating animatable assets from the designs.
The Harmony Breakdown Artist / Character Designer will be working under the supervision of the Art Director and will research and explore characters through references, working within the boundaries of a given brief. They are always striving to improve their skills and are happy to support other members of the team.
This role requires the hired candidate to be based in the UK, outside of London (outside the M25). We would like to highlight that the hired person in this role may be required to work part or full time at one of our Regional Studio Hubs (to be confirmed).
The role will also report into one of our Regional Studio Hubs.
Day to Day:
- Designing the style, appeal and persona of characters in the production based on story requirements and a given brief
- Researching and exploring characters through reference
- Creating character turnarounds
- Creating character pose sheets
- Drawing hand and mouth elements for use in rigs
- Working closely with the rigging team and the animation director to ensure that all designs are suitable for rigging and animation
- Working as part of a team to interpret assigned concepts and supporting other members of your team when required
- Managing your assets and time efficiently to meet deadlines
- Responding positively to notes and feedback
- Strong working knowledge of tools and software such as Cintiq, Photoshop and Harmony
- Solid digital drawing skills & previous character design experience
- Adaptable to different styles of show
- Brilliant creative flair
- Excellent eye for colours and value structure
- Strong perspective drawing skills
- Ability to draw consistently on-model
- Able to convey emotional and physical traits of a character through exploratory design
- A portfolio that demonstrates:
- Strong character design skills and an interest in character design.
- Competency in a variety of styles
- Rigging or model sheet examples.
- An understanding of animation principles
- Creative problem solving, neat and organized
- Being a team player, great collaborator and able to take direction from the Art Director
- Good internet connection and workstation (a necessity for remote working)
- A degree or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years industry experience in a similar role
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world. Blue Zoo believes that a healthy balance in our lives - whatever our situation - is key to supporting the wellbeing of our staff. We offer flexible working to support this.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (benefits):
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Inclusive self-funded shorts programme
- Many fun social events throughout the year - even though they have to be remote for the foreseeable!
- Bi-monthly staff feedback and engagement programme
- Friday "beer o'clock" and talks programme!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including loads of discounts and offers
- Online wellbeing programme
- Profit participation (for staff who have been with us for 2+ years)
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Junior CGI Visualiser
Closing 9 November 2021
- mustard viz
- £25,000 to 30,000 per annum
Junior Surfacing Artist
Closing 25 October 2021
- Blue Zoo Animation Studio
- London (Remote)
- perm, from remote
Junior Motion Designer
Closing 1 November 2021
Want more Harmony Breakdown Artist / Character Designer jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, 2D Animator jobs, CG Modeller jobs, Character Animator jobs, Character Designer jobs, Model Maker jobs, Modelling jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.