Faculty of Design, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Advertising for OCAD UniversityThis job listing has expired
OCAD University (OCAD U), Canada’s university of the imagination, provides a vibrant and stimulating environment for its faculty and students. Committed to excellence and contemporary approaches to education, OCAD U offers seventeen undergraduate programs, seven graduate programs, and a variety of continuing education courses in art, media and design. OCAD U is currently seeking outstanding, creative researchers/practitioners and gifted, collaborative teachers to augment its professoriate in this tenured/tenure-track opportunity. It is an exciting time to join the OCAD U community as the University is at a key stage in its institutional transformation, with its Creative City Campus capital project and the development of a new academic plan.
FACULTY OF DESIGN
TENURED/TENURE-TRACK POSITION ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR:
The Faculty of Design invites applications for one full-time tenured/tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor in Advertising. The position is to commence on August 1, 2017 and is subject to budgetary approval. The evolving Advertising curriculum at OCAD U engages students in design experiences that integrate research methods and studio practice to a critical personal aesthetic applicable to the entry-level positions in the advertising industry and other visual communications disciplines. The vision of the program is to educate advertising professionals capable of responding to a future where advertising creates sustainable and ethical messages that engages in issues of diversity, inclusion and equity, what we describe as Respectful Design. Students are expected to consider historical and critical perspectives on advertising, strategic planning and implementation processes, branding across digital and analogue platforms and channels, in addition to being a pragmatic response to industry expectations. The pedagogical focus of the candidate will be advancing current communication tools and methods in the creation of persuasive brand narratives, involving the craft of art direction, design production, copywriting, and strategic planning. The candidate will demonstrate critical understanding of historical and contemporary advertising, and the issues facing local and global advertising, including decolonization, diversity, equity, and sustainability. A broad conception of interaction of mass and emerging digital media and UX/UI design is desired to fuel potential cross-disciplinary efforts with Industrial and Graphic design programs at the undergraduate levels as well as programs at the graduate level. Candidates should submit their interest in response to one or more of the following categories of practice:
• Advertising strategic planning with business building results;
• Critical historical and contemporary media landscapes of convergent culture, consumer behaviour and social influence;
• Two and three-dimensional brand applications through UX/UI design, implementation and materialization, including computer supported design and digital fabrication
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will:
• teach primarily across multiple year levels in the Advertising program with opportunities to teach across Industrial and Graphic Design undergraduate programs, and associated interdisciplinary graduate programs;
• assume a key role in the ongoing development of the Advertising Program and cross-disciplinary curriculum, policies and promotion, participating in Faculty and Program meetings and initiatives;
• maintain an active research, professional practice and/or scholarship within relevant discipline; and
• provide service to the faculty and University-wide governance system, as well as participate building the University community and promoting the quality of student life and University culture.
The ideal candidate will have:
• a terminal Master’s degree in a related design or advertising fields, with a preference for a PhD;
• a thorough knowledge of advertising history, theory and practice within two or more of the categories of practice;
• a demonstrated understanding of Omni channel application for integrated messaging; narrative and brand storytelling across channels of influence; and engagement in 2D or/and 3D brand applications;
• a high level of expertise and national or international reputation in one or more of the fields of practice mentioned along with a body of work demonstrating broad applications to contemporary advertising practices across multiple disciplines;
• a proven record of teaching at the post-secondary level and demonstrated experience in innovative studio-based curriculum development. Previous experience teaching in interdisciplinary programs, and teaching and supervising graduate students will be considered assets;
• a proven record of research and/or professional practice relevant to qualifications, experience and discipline;
• experience proactively advancing equity and sustainability in curriculum, teaching, scholarship, and creative/professional activities; • demonstrated understanding of the ways in which equity, Indigenous knowledge, and sustainability are fundamental to the quality of student experience, to innovative scholarship, and to design production; and
• a proven record of promoting a respectful and inclusive work and learning environment for students, staff, and faculty.
Salary and rank will be commensurate with experience and qualifications with access to full benefits, and pension contribution after one year of service.
Applications should include: a letter of intent stating the candidate’s interests in the areas of teaching, research/professional practice, and service to Faculty- and University-wide governance; a curriculum vitae; a statement of teaching philosophy that responds to the profile of the position; evidence of teaching effectiveness (such as sample assignments, student feedback, course evaluations, etc.); a digital portfolio of recent work/publications (if applicable); and the names and contact information of three referees. Interested applicants are invited to submit their application in confidence, addressed to Chair, Advertising Tenured/Tenure-Track Search Committee, Faculty of Design online by visiting the Employment Opportunities page of our website:
The review of applications will begin on April 17, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
As an institution committed to art, design, digital media and related scholarship, OCAD University recognizes the profound and essential value that diversity brings to the creation, reception and circulation of creative practices and discourse. OCAD University understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are essential to, and enrich the institution’s core mission and vision as an art and design university with a local and global scope.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
We encourage members of equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their letter of intent in their application. In order to alleviate the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous tenured and tenure-track faculty and academic administrators, priority in hiring will be given to qualified racialized and Indigenous persons who self-identify as such in the application process. This initiative is a special program under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
OCAD University is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free experience to applicants with accessibility needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources for more information or refer to OCAD U’s Policy of Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.
Sorry this job has been removed from Creativepool
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.