Experienced Set/environment Designer
About The Role:
We are on the lookout for a talented and experienced Set/Environment Designer who will be producing designs for sets based on the style of the production, working from rough concept to final approved designs under the Art Directors supervision. They will research and explore based on relevant references, and work within the boundaries of a given brief. They are always striving to improve their skills and are happy to support other members of the team.
This role requires the hired candidate to be based in the UK, outside of London (outside the M25). We would like to highlight that the hired person in this role may be required to work part or full time at our Brighton Studio Hub. This role will also report into our Brighton Studio.
Day to Day:
- Researching and providing exploratory sketches for interior and exterior sets based on the approved brief.
- Produce detailed drawings at correct scale, detailing any prop specifications within the set.
- Collaborate/communicate with the Art and Modelling Departments.
- Working as part of a team to interpret assigned concepts and supporting other members of your team when required.
- Managing your assets and time efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Responding positively to notes and feedback.
- Strong aesthetic judgement with strong skills in drawing, painting and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of 2D animation workflow.
- Adaptable to different styles of show.
- A portfolio that demonstrates a variety of set and environment design options that fit into a story/world.
- Ability to convert any given design to the style of the show.
- Be able to present work in a clear and concise manner that demonstrates thought process and purpose.
- Strong knowledge of tools and software such as Cintiq, Photoshop, or other applicable design software.
- Have the ability to provide written and visual feedback to the overseas team.
- Strong understanding of composition.
- Creative flair.
- Good understanding of colours, lighting and value structure.
- Being a team player and great collaborator.
- Creative problem solving.
- Excellent time management skills in meeting design deadlines from concept to final deliverables.
- A degree or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years industry experience in a similar role.
- Good skills in graphic design.
- A passion for animation and cinematography.
- Passion for storytelling.
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (benefits):
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Inclusive self-funded shorts programme.
- Many fun social events throughout the year - even though they have to be remote for the foreseeable!
- Bi-monthly staff feedback and engagement programme.
- Friday "beer o'clock" and talks programme!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including loads of discounts and offers.
- Online wellbeing programme.
- Profit participation (for staff who have been with us for 2+ years).
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 8 December 2021
Environment Artists - New Sci-fi FPS IP
Closing 8 December 2021
LCM Design Draughtsperson
Closing 13 December 2021
Want more Experienced Set/environment Designer jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, Environmental Designer jobs, 2D Animator jobs, Animator jobs, Layout Artist jobs, Prop Designer jobs, Set Builder jobs, Set Designer jobs, Texture Artist/Texture Painter jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.