Emerging Talent - Communication Design Placement
Imagine working for a company that is passionate about its people…
At Samsung we approach everything we do with the spirit of a ‘joyful pioneer’- daring to defy barriers and striving to excel limits. At the heart of our DNA is the pursuit of excellence and bringing innovation to everyone, faster than anyone. We realise it’s our people who really make this possible and we are continuously looking for dynamic people to join us and share our vision. With our endless ability to predict the next big wave (and create a few of our own), joining Samsung Electronics will put you in touch with the future and keep your career at the cutting edge of tomorrow’s technology.
We are constantly looking for dynamic individuals who share our relentless ambition, and in return offer people opportunities to grow and ways to express themselves in a truly global enterprise.
Why join our team?
Consumer-led innovation teams have been established in different regions across the world & are at the forefront of innovation & new value creation within Samsung Electronics. The Insight and Innovation team (I&I) is housed within Samsung Design Europe (SDE) in central London, working collaboratively with global (main stakeholders who are headquartered in Korea) and local teams to deliver new value, creating product, UX, marketing, and service concepts to all divisions of Samsung Electronics. I&I have contributed significantly to Samsung’s product and service strategy in Europe and beyond, and expects this impact on the business to grow over the next few years.
The objective of the European Insight and Innovation team is to drive innovation within the business through human centred design, where the user is at the heart of everything we do.
As part of a multi-disciplinary design team, our Communication Designers are graphic designers who are systems thinkers. They bring design excellence through storytelling and ensuring that the work has maximum impact.
The Communication Designer is pivotal in crafting visual designs that bring to life the thinking of the team and could include something as basic as a PowerPoint presentation or as complex as an animation. The Communication Designer creates the largest impact when they translate complex ideas and concepts into compelling human-centred designs and stories.
In this placement, you’ll work closely with multidisciplinary teams to tackle all aspects of the design process - from understanding users, prototyping and testing, to helping communicate the overall project story.
What will this role achieve?
The key focus of the Communication Designer will be to elevate the storytelling in our work: by visualising the work and bringing to life the voice of the people we’re designing for and connecting the internal design team and organization to the human experience. All projects will focus on innovation of new propositions (products & services) for Samsung.
The responsibility of the Communication Design Placement within the team is:
1. Participate in innovation projects from start to finish, alongside members of the I&I team, including working with and managing external partners and agencies
2. Learn how to apply design and strategic thinking through the visual design process throughout a project
3. Help turn insights into a compelling visual story output
4. Work with other members of I&I to develop market driven concepts
5. To help with visual techniques (concept design) to test new insight and concept output from the Innovation process in as ‘real world’ a way as possible
6. Be an advocate for exceptional visual communication
What will be your key deliverables?
• Participate in analysis and synthesis of expert and consumer interviews with the team to understand human challenges for creating strategic branding, products, or services
• Help translate complex strategies into clear and tangible design principles, to be applied to brands, digital and physical interfaces or interactions, products and presentations
• Support with delivery of digital and physical concepts, built on strong consumer insight and trends
• Help turn strategic concepts into prototypes of different level of fidelity using various visual media
• Help create compelling visual narratives that clearly communicate business opportunity, strategic solutions or user stories, utilising data where necessary
• Take an active role in I&I non-project activities
What do we need for this role?
• An on-going degree in Visual Communication: graphic design, communications design, or an equivalent visual degree
• Ability to tell a compelling story and communicate it via the right medium
• Experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma alongside ability to design in more simple formats like PowerPoint. Experience in video is also a big plus
• Ability to work across formats depending on what feels right for the question at hand
• Information design and visualisation skills including sketching, typography, and layout, and a passion for visual design across a breadth of media
• Willingness to tackle a diverse set of design challenges, utilizing creative problem solving to tackle complex questions
• Passion for learning and experimenting with new methods to deliver design solutions
What you will bring to the team?
• Able to provide valuable insights and points of view at the intersection of innovation, business, and graphic design
• Work in multidisciplinary teams, with team members with diverse skillsets, and ability to align your talents with theirs
• Prototyping quickly, understanding that success comes sooner with trial and error; experimenting at different levels of fidelity
• Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and last minute changes
• Must be flexible to travel
Essential Soft Skills:
• Optimistic and open to new ideas and ways of working, pushing boundaries to explore new territories within design
• Ready to learn from failure and critique, iterating to learn fast
• Collaborative with a hands on approach, not afraid to roll-up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get a job done
• Ability to participate as an active member in creative workshops and ideation sessions
Please note - You must have the right to work in the UK, be on a year in industry relevant degree course in your penultimate year of study and able to start on the 1st August 2002 in order to be eligible for this placement opportunity.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Junior Graphic Designer
Closing 9 July 2022
- White Stuff
Junior Graphic Designer
Closing 2 July 2022
- Jimmy Choo PLC
Closing 3 July 2022
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.