Are you curious/enthusiastic about a career in scientific editing? If so, we may have the perfect experience for you.
The Editorial Office of Cell Press is offering 1 scientific editing internship for graduate students or those who have recently finished a graduate program or are in their early post-doctoral stages. We welcome applications from candidates from ethnic as well as other minorities and under-represented groups. Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
The program is designed to give you the experience of being a Scientific Editor at a major scientific publishing organization. You will also learn how scientific research goes from the laboratory or field to a story in the publishing world, and you will have the opportunity to collaborate with other publishing teams, including production, media, and communications. By the end of the internship, you will walk away with experience in scientific editing and writing, the publishing process, and non-academic/non-industrial mentorship.
Location, timing: Our preference is for a candidate based at the Cell Press offices in London, UK. However, we are also open to qualified candidates who would be interested in working in the Oxford office in the UK, off-site (remotely) or in a mixed on-site off-site condition. An off-site intern is encouraged to visit the London (or Oxford) office as and when needed. No housing or relocation assistance is offered. A laptop will be provided. We expect the internship to last for 12 weeks part-time at 17.5 hours per week or 6 weeks full-time at 35 hours per week but are open to other schedules. Start date is also flexible. The mentioned details about location and timing are subject to change, depending on changing national and local guidelines and policies related to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Tasks will include:
- Completing checks to make sure the methods section in the articles complies with Cell Press guidelines.
- Checking manuscripts for compliance to guidelines prior to acceptance.
- Using Elsevier’s Scopus database and other software to search for experts to act as peer reviewers and to assist with commissioning activities.
- Assisting with developing and posting social media content.
- Proof-reading and line-editing Previews (articles that highlight one or several research papers published in the same or a recent issue of a given Journal).
- Line editing front matter pieces such as Reviews (pieces that survey and summarize previously published studies) and Perspectives (opinion pieces).
- Completing weekly reports and timesheet at the end of each week.
- Completing miscellaneous projects as assigned by the Editor.
- A capstone project to be determined based on mutual interests.
Elsevier, of which Cell Press is an imprint, is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, colour, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact us.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 7 November 2021
Motion/Video Editor - Campaign Best Place to Work
Closing 20 October 2021
- London / Remote
- perm, from remote
- £34,000 - 38,000
Copy & Editorial Executive - 3 Month FTC
Closing 2 November 2021
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Want more Editorial Intern jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Editorial Assistant jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs, Managing Editor (Publishing) jobs, Publishing Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.