Editor in Chief, Physics Journal, Cell Press
Do you love serving global researchers, spanning contemporary physics fields?
Are you passionate about expanding the Physics journal space?
About our Team:
Cell Press publishes over 50 scientific journals across life, physical, earth and health sciences. We bring editorial excellence, commitment to innovation, unparalleled reach, visibility, and passion for advocacy to all areas of scientific exploration.
About the Role:
Cell Press is launching a broad-scope and prestigious new journal to serve physics researchers. The journal will sit alongside our top-tier Cell Press physical science journals (including Chem, Joule, Matter and Device). It will serve global researchers, spanning contemporary physics fields and publishing very influential research. We are seeking a visionary Editor-in-Chief to launch and lead the journal.
They’ll have the unique opportunity to shape a prominent and vibrant journal, leading an editorial team according to their creative vision. As a respected member of the research community, the Editor-in-Chief will create a very high-impact journal grounded in a strong understanding of the needs of the international research community of authors, readers, and reviewers that the journal serves.
- Defining the aims, scope, and formats for the journal.
- Developing a broad appeal, impactful, topical, and cohesive journal.
- Drawing on an impressive network of leading researchers to attract world-leading article submissions.
- Traveling extensively to attend conferences and visit research institutes.
- Recruiting & having managerial responsibilities for in-house editorial team members. Coordinating the rigorous evaluation of submissions to ensure the quality and value of the journal, as a forum for the best research, analysis and ideas.
- Developing and fostering partnerships with other editorial teams at Cell Press, members of the production, marketing, press and advertising teams. Contributing to the overall publishing strategy of Cell Press.
- Have proven physics research expertise and a broad interest in research across the scope of the journal.
- Have a deep network of international researchers within the scope of the Journal. Paired with a proven ability to engage with and influence.
- Able to think conceptually and critically about a wide range of scientific issues.
- Have proven organizational, project management, leadership, and teamwork skills.
- Display excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Extensive Editorial experience is valued. Interested applicants with a current academic assignment but are seeking new challenges in Editorial/Publishing are encouraged to apply.
Work in a way that works for you:
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organization. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, family leave and tuition reimbursement, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and long-term goal
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive.
- This is a full-time editorial position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. While there are advantages in candidates willing and able to be based in proximity to one our offices (in Cambridge MA USA; London or Oxford UK; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Munich, Germany; Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen, China), we are potentially open to flexibility in location.
Working for you:
We know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the US benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Health Benefits: Comprehensive, multi-carrier program for medical, dental and vision benefits
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) with match and an Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Wellbeing: Wellness platform with incentives, Headspace app subscription, Employee Assistance and Time-off Programs
- Short-and-Long Term Disability, Life and Accidental Death Insurance, Critical Illness, and Hospital Indemnity
- Family Benefits, including bonding and family care leaves, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Health Savings, Health Care, Dependent Care and Commuter Spending Accounts
- Up to two days of paid leave each to participate in Employee Resource Groups and to volunteer with your charity of choice
About the Business:
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals’ advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to providing a fair and accessible hiring process. If you have a disability or other need that requires accommodation or adjustment, please let us know.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Editor - Tyla
Closing 31 March 2024
- LADbible Group
Managing Editor, Livingetc
Closing 1 April 2024
- Future Plc
£33,000 to 36,000 per annum
Executive Editor - Speech and Topical
Closing 6 March 2024
- perm, freelance, temp to perm
£Depending on relevant skills, knowledge and experience.
Want more Editor in Chief, Physics Journal, Cell Press jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Managing Editor (Publishing) jobs, Publishing Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.