We are looking for an Editor-in-Chief to launch and lead a new Cell Press journal, Device.
Cell Press is launching Device - a prestigious new journal spanning breakthrough device and application-orientated research.
Device will sit alongside our top-tier Cell Press physical science journals (including Chem and Joule and Matter), and will serve global researchers from disciplines including applied physics, applied materials, nanotechnology, robotics, energy research, chemistry, biotechnology and biomedical sciences, photonics, electronics, engineering, and the Internet of Things.
We are seeking a visionary Editor-in-Chief to launch and lead Device. The Editor-in-Chief will have the unique opportunity to shape a prominent and vibrant journal, leading an editorial team according to their creative vision.
As a respected member of the research community, the Editor-in-Chief will create a high-impact journal grounded in a strong understanding of the needs of the international research community of authors, readers, and reviewers that the journal serves.
The Editor-in-Chief will:
- Be responsible for defining the aims, scope, and formats for the journal, to develop a broad appeal, impactful, topical and cohesive journal
- Draw on an impressive network of leading researchers to attract world-leading article submissions
- Travel extensively to attend conferences and visit research institutes
- Have managerial responsibilities for the in-house Device editorial team members, and coordinate the rigorous evaluation of submissions to ensure the quality and value of the journal as a forum for the best research, analysis and ideas
- Develop and foster partnerships with other editorial teams at Cell Press, as well as members of the production, marketing, press and advertising teams, and contribute to the overall publishing strategy of Cell Press.
The qualified candidate is expected to have:
- Proven research expertise within the scope of Device and a broad interest in research across the scope of the journal
- A strong network of (and proven ability to engage with and influence) international researchers within the scope of Device
- The ability to think conceptually and critically about a wide range of scientific issues
- 4+ years of editorial experience is an advantage; interested applicants with a current academic appointment but who are seeking new challenges in an editorial/publishing role are also encouraged to apply
- Proven organizational, project management, leadership and teamwork skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This is a full-time editorial position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. While there are advantages in candidates willing and able to be based in proximity to one our offices (in Cambridge MA USA; London or Oxford UK; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Munich, Germany; Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen, China), we are potentially open to flexibility in global location.
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career, as this role is global, benefits may vary according to your location. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Health care plans and benefits
- Modern Family Benefits, including maternity, paternity, adoption and surrogacy
- Life assurance and accident policies
- Comprehensive pension and retirement plans
- Access to learning and development resources
- Your recruiter will advise you on the benefits package for your location
How to apply:
A resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position.
A brief discussion (<500 words) on your vision for the new journal, including its scope, ambitions, and how it would be distinctive.
If you have any problems uploading the separate documents, please merge them into one document.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies.
We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers. Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy.
Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact us.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 29 January 2023
- Springer Nature
Senior Desk Editor
Closing 30 January 2023
- N Brown Group plc
Senior Assistant Editor, The Lancet journals (1 year fixed-term contract)
Closing 24 January 2023
- RELX Group
- London / Oxford
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.