Editor - Gift and IP - Maternity Cover FTC
Our successful NonFiction team are looking for an Editor (Maternity Cover) for 4 or 5 days a week to edit and oversee a number of illustrated and mono books from initial concept to finished product. Subjects cover all areas of trend-led gift and IP publishing, including Lifestyle, Illustration, Cookery, Topical Issues, Humour, and brand partnerships.
- Support the Editorial and acquiring editors on a range of illustrated and mono books, ensuring that this is carried out to the highest standards of quality and accuracy, to budget and within deadline.
- Prepare cover briefs, write cover copy and information sheets, and check proofs.
- Copywrite and check sales and marketing materials, e.g. catalogues, presenters.
- Research and prepare pitch presentations for new business, including liaising with designers internally and externally.
- Desk editorial responsibilities – checking copy edits, proofreads, copywriting and writing design briefs – for a range of nonfiction titles. Seeing titles through from manuscript to finished copies.
- Manage budgets, schedules and critical paths.
- Manage relevant editorial listings (AIS, BIC, Acquisitions, P&Ls) to ensure accurate and up-to-date title/list information is available internally and externally.
- Liaise with authors, artists and agents and working with the project editorial team.
- Support the commissioning team across the list by bringing new ideas to the table and participating in new ideas meetings.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness and interest; keeping up-to-date with latest and emerging trends across publishing as well as cultural trends and topics.
- Demonstrable editorial experience in illustrated books.
- A good eye for detail.
- Strong written skills, able to adapt tone appropriately to each pitch.
- Strong visual awareness.
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise and manage workload.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Financial awareness. Full familiarity with budgeting and cost-control processes in relation to specific projects and lists.
- To understand the financial implications of decisions within the overall corporate framework.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Calm under pressure.
- A good team player who is capable of working on their own initiative.
- Deals well with a mixture of long- and short-term demands.
- Adept team-player. Able to contribute in wider discussions of the Division’s publishing and business.
- Passion for innovative publishing, meaningful content and beautiful books.
- Hybrid working model (2+ days in the office).
- 26 days holiday plus bank holidays (option to buy and sell holiday days).
- Enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave.
- Private healthcare cover and life assurance.
- Free access to HeadSpace, employee assistance programme (24 hour helpline), mental health first aiders, and a wellbeing portal.
- Season ticket loans (from day 1 for entry level) and cycle to work scheme.
- Employee networks: HC All In (open forum), Elevate (for ethnic minority colleagues), HarperParents, Menopause at Work and Pride at HC.
- Unlimited training on our Learning and Development portal, management courses (up to MA level) and mentoring programmes.
- Virtual GP and eyecare vouchers.
- Gym membership discount.
- Onsite physiotherapy (London only).
- Charitable donation matching and volunteering day.
- We're a certified Carbon Neutral company.
- Free e-books and audiobooks, newspaper subscriptions and discounts on books.
- Subsidised canteen and retail discounts.
- Onsite prayer room.
If you wish to discuss anything regarding this position and/or your application to this role, please reach out directly to our Talent Acquisition Manager with subject heading ‘Vacancy Query’ plus the job title and we will aim to get back to you within 5 working days.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Motion Graphics Designer & Editor, 6-12 Month FTC
Closing 29 November 2022
- River Island
- perm, remote, temp to perm
£Competitive + Benefits
Assistant Script Editor - Silent Witness
Closing 7 October 2022
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Video Storyteller/Editor, Operations Internal Communications
Closing 30 November 2022
Want more Editor - Gift and IP - Maternity Cover FTC jobs?
Want to find more Copywriter jobs, Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Proofreader jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Copy Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.