The General Editor for ESPN’s International Digital Editions is an experienced digital media editor who oversees both written and video content for ESPN’s digital presence. The editor will closely work with ESPN’s digital content teams to bring ESPN’s content, including text and video, to all of ESPN digital platforms, utilising metrics, editorial & strategic intuition, and real-time and long-term audience engagement trends to make smart decisions on programming, distribution and content creation.
The position will curate content for the homepages for ESPN’s international editions, including ESPN UK, ESPN Africa, ESPN Singapore, ESPN Philippines, and ESPN Australia, edit original content and review content for quality control purposes. The role also ensures all content meets established ESPN journalistic standards and brand guidelines. This position is a hands-on position, working with content (text, video, audio and social media) produced by a variety of ESPN content teams.
The editor is expected to display outstanding news judgement, skilled storytelling ability, thorough knowledge of digital practices (including SEO, social platforms and content sharing), and a strong knowledge of journalistic principals and methods.
The General Editor’s responsibilities will include:
- To increase consumption of editorial and video content on ESPN web & app and Apple News.
- Story Selection & Index Management of ESPN’s websites around the world.
- Content amplification, enhancing quality and presentation of content, headline writing, photo management, uploading of content.
- Identifying trends & analysing traffic to further content and amplification models.
- Utilising online publishing/editing tools, social media networks, analytical tools and traffic measurement programmes (Chartbeat and Omniture).
- Relentlessly driving digital presentation and content ideas that appeal to younger audiences.
- Contributing to news, features and content production, as well as liaising with writers. Handling special projects or packages of content.
- Developing and maintaining strong internal relationships with ESPN programming teams across the world, playing a lead role as part of ESPN’s Global Programming Team.
- Maintaining a detailed knowledge of the world of sport.
- Management of live events and managing/training of staff, interns + freelancers.
Areas of Accountability:
- The role reports into the Audience Development Lead & as part of the Global Programming Team.
- Also works in liaison with the Global, FC & Cricinfo teams, as well as the Universal News Group.
- Works closely with ESPN HQ in Bristol, Connecticut.
Skills & Experience:
- Must have an excellent knowledge of domestic and international sport, but even more crucial will be to have an in-depth knowledge of what content appeals to ESPN’s global audience.
- Should have senior experience at or within a fast-paced sports website.
- A strong editorial background, demonstrating a talent in editing sports websites.
- Background in audience engagement tactics & growth.
- Excellent editing skills – in particular headline writing and image selection/presentation.
- An ability to ‘sell’ content utilising a variety of new and existing platforms and methods.
- A good understanding of current industry trends.
- Language skills a definite advantage.
Will need to be able to work evenings, weekends and public holidays as necessary to maintain a 24/7 website.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Sports Media Limited, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Sports Media Limited is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Content Editor - Danish
Closing 1 January 2020
- ASOS plc
Marketing Copywriter (German language skills) #lux #fashion
Closing 3 January 2020
- Creative Recruitment
- £100 to 120 /day
Want more Digital Editor jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Editorial Assistant jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.