Digital Editor (Durham & Wearside)
We have recently announced exciting news confirming significant expansion of our digital network of regional news brands. We are committing to 46 journalists into permanent positions and seven new launches in 2020, so there really hasn’t been a better time to join us! As part of this, we are looking to hire a Digital Editor for Durham and Wearside. This role is a senior executive position in the newsroom, able to deputise at editor level as required. Based from our ChronicleLive offices, this is a role for a qualified journalist and experienced, proven manager able to demonstrate strong content management skills, digital publishing knowledge, alongside experience of managing, leading and inspiring teams.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5.8 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
-Leading and overseeing the development and delivery of engaging, audience-focused content for the Durham and Wearside areas for publication online and on social media.
- Leading the management of a team of content editors and creators, providing clear briefings and feedback on content requirements as well as appropriate pastoral care and line management functions, overseeing appraisals and performance development, and inspiring the team to produce content the audience wants to read.
- Setting high standards to ensure digital audience targets are achieved, brand values are met and that our coverage is high-quality, comprehensive and essential for the local audience.
- Managing live content schedule and oversee copy flow across digital platforms, in line with diary and audience spikes, ensuring targets for page views, engagement and video are achieved.
- Ensuring content desks and creators operate in an audience-focused way and that all opportunities for engaging content creation, sharing and seeding are maximised.
- Oversee and manage workflows and rotas for content publishing, ensuring that resources are well planned.
- Ensure a high level of digital publishing and production best practice standards, delivered in a way which meets audience targets across multiple platforms.
- Deputise at editor level where required, including briefing, commissioning, managing and editing content across platforms and supporting the senior seven-day publishing rota.
The Ideal Candidate:
- A Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- At least two years’ successful editorial management experience.
Proven ability to lead, motivate and develop people.
- At least two years of experience in content writing, editing and/or management.
- An expert storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content.
- Excellent understanding of SEO, search, social and digital audience behaviour.
- Proven digital skills including experience of using a content management system.
- Great social media savvy and professional experience of using social media platforms.
- Demonstrable experience of team management and motivation.
- First-class organisational skills.
- Ability to use and apply learning through digital analytics.
- Ability to present confidently and make a positive contribution to meetings.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Creativity and flair.
- A positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, highly organised and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently.
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code.
- Full driving licence.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include a holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry’s PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us.
Want more Digital Editor (Durham & Wearside) jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Editorial Assistant jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs, Copy Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.