At Booking.com, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world. We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we’ve been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we’re building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to transport, tickets, tours and more.
From our HQ in Manchester and London office, our Transportation team helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they’re always ready for change.
Booking.com core values:
- Think customer first.
- Succeed together.
- Own It.
- Learn Forever.
- Do the Right Thing.
Design Managers are capable in the design craft and strong leaders deeply committed to the discipline of management and the career development needs of others within the design craft. Their primary focus is on empowering their direct reports to do their best work rather than doing practical design work as individual contributors. They have a clear grasp of the needs of the business and work to effectively balance them alongside the needs of their direct reports, ensuring a clear understanding of expectations and minimizing surprises.
Management & Leadership:
- Manages a team of employees; including their performance, progression, owns workability cases.
- Ensures the development of individuals within the organization. Coaches and mentors individual designers to improve craft, deliverables, communication, and career advancement; evaluates and elevates individuals’ process and craft through critique, review, or other measurable steps.
- Hires new employees - identifies headcount needs for designers aligned to track or business objectives; works with HR and Central Design in order to recruit and interview candidates.
- Works with individuals and groups to define clear and measurable day-to-day working goals, aligned with business and stakeholder needs.
- Helps reports prioritize work on product- and community-focused initiatives and projects; guides the definition of work schedules to capitalize on their reports’ strengths and ensure focus is maintained.
- Demonstrates experience managing stakeholders, processes, business priorities and projects, as well as the ability to influence and guide individuals.
- Networks across multiple teams, tracks and disciplines to achieve objectives, proactively builds productive relationships across teams.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on product design and product design processes, as well as their product area or business topic;
- Advances reports’ understanding and application of user-centered design concepts, methods, and techniques to enable and advance quality design and outcomes; leads by example through practical design work when necessary
- Encourages and enables their direct reports in facilitating workshops, sprints, critiques, reviews, or other collaborative processes across teams or tracks in order to engage direct reports, peers, and key stakeholders to provide continual direction in design and innovation.
- Develops and drives improvement or implementation plans to relevant design systems and design principles; Works with design leadership and others to ensure product, craft, quality, and accessibility standards and requirements are applied across their reports’ tracks, teams and products.
- Demonstrates awareness of current and upcoming trends in market, technology and design; Shares this knowledge widely and encourages others to learn.
Commercial Awareness & Communication:
- Acts as a consistent advocate for end user needs and perspectives in product area discussions, reviews, and critiques.
- Guides team members in appropriate ways to validate hypotheses through user-testing, quantitative and qualitative methods and help them understand appropriate strengths and weaknesses of each method; Collaborates to ensure cooperation for projects and initiatives;
- Demonstrates fluent understanding of track or area's business models and strategies; Actively contributes to strategy through collaboration with other track leadership and managers.
- Champions an advanced understanding of Booking’s brand and design standards , systems, and guidelines; Reviews and guides teams and individuals to meet them or continue to develop them, ensuring adherence and consistency.
- Actively engages with other managers and departments in order to improve management processes, contribute to overall performance evaluation and improvement.
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years’ experience delivering global products in a similar large scale product led environment.
- 1-3 years of successfully managing and mentoring designers.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful.
- Solution oriented and result driven.
- Proactive, flexible and capable of working independently as well as working in a team.
- 1-3 years of successfully managing and mentoring designers.
- Over 5+ years directly applicable IC (Individual Contributor) design experience.
- IC UX design experience, within a mass consumer digital environment, such as Marketplaces, SaaS, Media, Travel, Retail, etc in customer-orientated user experience design projects.
- Extensive knowledge of design processes.
- Documented creative ability to develop ideas, flows, designs and propositions to engage customers.
- Strong theoretical and practical user-centred design skills.
- Experience of working with Tech and Commercial stakeholders, and managing their objectives.
- Experience and knowledge of A/B and multivariate testing processes.
- Knowledge of Lean UX, Lean startup, Design Thinking, and dual track agile.
- 25 vacation days (rising to 28) to go exploring.
- Generous accommodation discount, so you can explore for less.
- Bonus package.
- Pension with up to 10% matched company contribution.
- Free breakfast and subsidised staff restaurant with Starbucks coffee.
- Huge learning and development platform tailored to you.
- Shopping and leisure discounts through Perkbox.
- Interest free travel loans/discounted car parking.
- Competitive maternity/paternity/adoption leave.
- Flexible working, including working from home.
- Wellbeing focus, with weekly onsite yoga.
- Mental health first aiders and free face-to-face support.
Junior Seven Store UX Executive
Closing 20 March 2021
Closing 15 March 2021
Want more Design Manager jobs?
Want to find more Design Manager jobs, Product Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.