Design Director - Visual Design
In our 40-year history we’ve changed, a lot—from a culture-defining film title studio (Superman, Alien, Ghostbusters); to an interactive advertising agency; to an award-winning product and marketing agency with design, technology, communications, ventures and IP practices. We like change, and like to navigate our clients through it too.
Our approach to work is always human first. This unwavering focus helps us create meaningful and memorable experiences that live across digital platforms and often blur-the-line between the digital and real world. We believe disruptive thinking happens when you collide experts in design, technology and culture.
Our Designers are makers and storytellers that use design to bring ideas to life. They lead projects into uncharted creative territories and synthesize new outcomes. They’re design fundamentalists, but approach projects with a systems and stories mindset. They identify user needs, interpret client challenges and define visual language, always mindful of how it looks and how it works.
As Design Director of Visual Design in R/GA London, you will be responsible for creating and applying strategic and creative thinking on big brand projects, new technologies and experiences. R/GA helps brands and companies grow by enabling them to change. Fast.
Here’s what you should know if you want to be a Design Director at R/GA:
- Not just a stellar designer but enjoy nurturing those who have not come as far as you. You will be mentoring a younger generation of rising designers at R/GA, helping them foster their talents, create world class creative solutions and achieve their career goals.
- A world-class designer with impeccable craft, comfortably and consistently superb in your execution across a range of visual styles and mediums. Able to define strategic and creative points of view on systematic thinking, platform innovation, story-telling and campaign thinking.
- A collaborator. You will collaborate closely with our tech teams and partner agencies to develop anything from new products to real-life interactive experiences experienced by millions. None of this is new for you – you have years of experience working closely with partner agencies, programmers and creative technologists, making you more than conversational across a range of digital tools and platforms. Beyond that, you have a passion for shaping where technology is going, and the role design can play in that: in building brands, creating meaningful experiences and shaping all our futures.
- Very (very) hands-on, always perfecting the tiniest details. You lead by example and inspire by your passion. Clients can see this too and will flock to collaborate with you.
- As a visual lead, you are not just expected to, but strive to build close relationships with key stakeholders (a.k.a. your clients), demonstrating our value to them every day–both for their personal careers and their brand.
On any given day you might:
- Mentor and inspire your core team, through the championing of craft across discipline unlocking opportunities to help them grow and deepen their craft.
- Serve as the standard bearer for our client’s brand, strategy, messaging and identity.
- Lead multiple projects and work streams co-currently from concept to delivery.
- Collaborating with Strategy, Copywriters, Experience Designers, Art Directors, and Tech Leads.
- Work closely with producers to schedule deadlines, and resolve resource and delivery issues.
- Work with the Account team and Strategy team to ensure creative concepts are on brand and strategically sound.
- Work closely with the CD to lead the design craft and execute the creative vision.
- Present to and meet with clients of all levels.
- Build creative relationships with clients.
- Support producers to scope and define the project approach, deliverables, timelines and team requirements.
The ideal person:
- Is able to lead multiple projects and delegate work effectively.
- Has strong leadership and meditation skills, and enjoys mentoring and fostering growth of junior team members.
- Can discern individual team members’ abilities and match the right people with the right work.
- Is comfortable collaborating with people from different creative disciplines and teams.
- Has a proven track record in both product and campaign work.
- Experience leading design teams and mentoring junior team members.
- Has experience in motion/ 3D or Unity.
- Is able to work hand in hand with Production and Client Services to manage and lead the strategic and creative output of partner production agencies.
- An active creative, cultural life.
- Able to create and craft award winning - peer envy work.
- Proven senior with strong leadership potential.
- Could be an Associate Design Director looking to step into a Design Director position.
- 6+ years experience.
Head of Design – Global Creative Agency
Closing 17 March 2021
- £Competitive Salary + Company Benefits
Closing 14 March 2021
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.