Design Director, Magazines & Lifestyle for The Telegraph
Design Director, Magazines & Lifestyle
Our award-winning magazines feature the latest in fashion, lifestyle, luxury, culture and current affairs. The design team provides creative suggestions for photographic and illustrative commissions, and supports the art desk to ensure The Telegraph’s content is powerfully projected online.
As our new Design Director you'll lead and manage the newly formed magazine design team, collaborating with the Deputy Creative Director to provide creative vision for our magazine portfolio across print and digital, evaluating existing products, re-imagining and redesigning where necessary and as frequently as necessary to ensure Telegraph products lead the industry.
- In collaboration with the Lifestyle Director, establish innovative new launches and special projects for print and digital
- Alongside the Deputy Creative director, lead the creative direction for photographic and illustration commissions
- As part of the senior design team, work with the Creative Director to help shape the wider visual output, ensuring Telegraph Design leads the industry across all platforms
- Work with digital and product design to ensure magazine content is powerfully projected online and any new and related products match and exceed the established standards of our printed products
- Liaise with other departments, such as Spark, Marketing and Commercial to ensure successful outcomes for these areas, adapting quickly to changes across the business
- Connect with third party providers including repro houses and print sites to ensure best possible outcomes for our products
- A detail-oriented manager, who is passionate and confident about presenting stories in a visually compelling way that matches the standard of the Telegraph's journalism.
- An experienced manager who sets clear standards and benchmarks and ensures that they are monitored and met.
- You have a strong portfolio of work demonstrating exceptional skills in typography, art direction, page-layout, commissioning (illustration and photography), redesign work and launches of new products including digital.
- You're able to conceive and execute all aspects of the design process, direct other designers and editors.
- You're the primary visual voice for magazines, collaborating on the output with editors. Be an advocate for the coherent visual identity of our products.
- Confident and capable of working collaboratively with many stakeholders from across the Telegraph.
- A keen awareness of current affairs and a passion for storytelling.
- Excel at articulating motivation and reasoning behind design and photographic decisions.
- Curious and aware of the wider printed and digital media landscape.
- Proven track record of team management and development, and leadership skills within a large organisation.
- Experience of leading and administering a significant editorial department.
- You've worked with printed and online media using newsroom page-makeup systems and CMS.
- Understanding of the IPSO Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Proficient in the full Adobe Creative Suite.
What you can expect from us if successful:
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).
- In-role development and access to formal development.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
Mid-Weight Hybrid Creative
Closing 16 December 2018
- Gemini People
- £35,000 to 45,000 p/a
Associate Creative Director
Closing 14 December 2018
- RedSofa London
- £55,000 to 65,000 p/a
Want more Design Director, Magazines & Lifestyle jobs?
Want to find more Art Director jobs, Creative Director jobs, Design Director jobs, Executive Creative Director jobs, Digital Design Director jobs, Digital Director jobs, Digital Campaign Director jobs, Content Director jobs, Digital Technical Director jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.