Deputy Creative Director - 6 Month FTC
Role purpose and overview:
The design department plays a crucial role in the way that The Telegraph sets the daily news agenda. From art direction, product design, infographics and motion design, The Telegraph art team is comprised of the leading professionals in their respective fields.
The role of the Deputy Creative Director is to work with the Creative Director to provide overall creative direction for all Telegraph outputs across Editorial, Product, Marketing and Brand as well as our diversified businesses. This is a leadership role, helping to manage a large department with responsibilities that affect all areas of the business.
- Responsible for ensuring the highest level of ambition and quality of the creative output of the design team – along with the Creative Director – across all digital platforms.
- Working with the Creative Director on long term product development and innovation across The Telegraph’s digital offering.
- Using a broad and deep understanding of design and media, in order to input on strategic business issues and lead on key large-scale projects impacting across the business.
- Working, with the Creative Director, to evolve and maintain the design approach of The Telegraph, including the visual direction, style, and methodology of the design team; Identifying and introducing new creative techniques and skills to the business, and exploiting new technologies, habits and trends.
- Overseeing day-to-day design in the newsroom, working closely with the digital news team, Live and Lifestyle design teams, graphics and multimedia teams, as well as deputising for the Creative Director from time to time.
- Planning ahead on annual timescales, with the Creative Director, and providing strategic support to the business, to help other areas realise their plans.
- Developing relationships with key stakeholders around the business, understanding their motivations and requirements, and being able to challenge where required.
- Managing upwards to the Creative Director, and Editor in Chief, providing regular updates and escalating challenges where appropriate.
- An advocate for good design across the company, influencing the culture of not just the design team, but also the wider organisation.
- Oversight across marketing design.
Skills required for the role:
- You have a through understanding of current technologies, techniques and their application and relevance to digital media and consumer consumption.
- You have extensive experience within the design industry and publishing – either in house or agency – and a best in class portfolio to match.
- You can communicate a clear vision and are a results-focused, can-do person.
- You’re able to lead the creative process confidently, taking ownership and responsibility to drive projects forwards.
- You have experience of – and enjoy – leading teams, as well as collaborating closely with others as part of a larger team.
- You can motivate and inspire others, articulating solutions and ideas clearly and persuasively.
- You’re able to juggle multiple streams of work, perform well under high pressure and have a flexible attitude.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 16 January 2023
- N Brown Group plc
£Up to £28,000 depending on experience plus excellent benefit
Ecommerce Art Director - Lipsy
Closing 23 January 2023
Studio Art Director
Closing 23 January 2023
- Hangar 13
Want more Deputy Creative Director - 6 Month FTC jobs?
Want to find more Art Director jobs, Creative jobs, Creative Director jobs, Digital Art Director jobs, Digital Creative Director jobs, Head of Creative jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.