Content Editor - Digital
Why you should join us…
Are you an experienced online news editor? Do you want to help ITV News grow new audiences on new platforms with new types of content?
ITV News plays a vital role in the lives of people across its regions and nations by providing trusted, high quality, independent news for viewers of television and digital platforms. We were recently named national news site of the year and attract millions of people to our website, app and social media each month. If you can inform and enthuse digital audiences and you are passionate about digital content and publishing, then we have a great new opportunity for an experienced and creative journalist.
This role entails…
As Content Editor working with staff at UTV - which is part of ITV - you’ll play an important role in leading a great team of people focused on our online news content. We've recently relaunched our news app and website and have ambitions to grow online audiences coming to ITV News.
Our Content Editors are senior members of the newsroom with a core specialism, but they’re also flexible and able to take on other roles when required. With a specialism in Digital Journalism, your task will be to plan and commission original, distinctive content for the website and digital channels, commissioning content from colleagues as required. You'll take the lead with daily website and social coverage, ensuring UTV is covering the stories people are talking about.
You'll have an understanding of audience development, spotting trends, producing audience highlights and guidance that builds understanding in the wider team for how best to serve new audiences on new platforms. With a significant depth of experience in online journalism and full knowledge of analytics, media law, Ofcom compliance and Health and Safety policy, you will be a strong leader and great communicator. You will have worked on or run news on local, regional or national websites.
Last year we launched our Diversity and Inclusion acceleration plan and you will be expected to play an active role in helping us achieve our aims to attract and then nurture talent from under-represented backgrounds, and telling stories with particular appeal to a diverse range of viewers.
We want to grow the audience to our digital content in the nations and regions, so you’ll often be feeling the pressure and dealing with difficult situations, and you’ll need to show you can act with a level head and be flexible in terms of working hours, including weekends and bank holidays where there is important breaking news in your patch..
If you have what it takes, we’d love to hear from you. We seek to represent all our audiences in the content we make and who makes it.
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to demonstrate the following skills:
Minimum role criteria:
- Proven experience of growing and digital audiences for a daily news website.
- Experience of producing high-quality, accurate and distinctive digital news to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- The ability to ensure copy is accurate and brilliantly presented, writing sharp, digital-friendly headlines and making use of the best pictures, video and other multimedia assets to drive engagement.
- Proven track record of dealing with breaking news and developing stories.
- A solid understanding of digital publishing including best use of SEO, social media and the ability to understand and act on Google Analytics data.
- A confident decision maker with strong knowledge of media law & compliance and the ability to exercise excellent editorial judgment.
- Experience of successfully working with multiple people and projects, with the ability to prioritise.
- Evidence of putting equality and representation at the heart of everything you do
- Passionate about digital publishing
- A clear understanding Ofcom’s standards, as any content produced by ITV must meet industry regulation
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team
ITV strongly encourages applications for this role from candidates with a disability or from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background and as a Disability Confident Leader if you meet the minimum criteria for a role and you have declared that you have a disability, we’ll guarantee you’ll get to the next stage*.
(minimum criteria above)
The Key role criteria is as follows:
- Experience in a television newsroom preferred but not essential
- The ability to bring fresh thinking and a different perspective to our team
- Highly organised with a track record for exercising excellent editorial judgement and accuracy against tight deadlines.
- Can demonstrate effective editorial leadership with excellent people and communication skills.
- A creative thinker with the ability to work well under pressure demonstrating resilience & determination.
- The ability to be flexible, bringing a growth mindset to their work with a readiness to learn new skills.
- Highly organised and can be trusted to make the right decision.
- Deep understanding of digital audiences
- A good knowledge of the ITV News regions/Nations
We're happy to discuss any support/personalisation you may need during our application process as part of our reasonable adjustments approach. So we encourage you to get in touch with us if you require anything...
To apply, please upload your CV together with a concise letter of application that outlines why you want this role, your online skills and your top 5 career achievements.
We want to be the most flexible employer in Media. We offer Smart working and we will support you and provide you the right environment and work/ life balance.
We reach millions of people everyday, that’s why having diverse talents and being an organisation where colleagues feel included is crucial to us. We have various networks who celebrate and support our colleagues. We try to embed an inclusive mindset in everything we do.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 7 December 2021
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies
Closing 12 December 2021
- Empire Design
- £In line with experience
Closing 7 December 2021
- Become Recruitment UK
Want more Content Editor - Digital jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Assistant Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, Features Editor jobs, Managing Editor jobs, News Editor jobs, Sub Editor jobs, Broadcast Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.