Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities – enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.
We’re looking for a Content Designer to join our digital product team. You will be part of the Peer Review and Open Access Digital Transformation group and will work alongside our Content Strategy Manager, Product team and UX designers to rethink and redesign the way we present our content to our researchers. Our group is part of the Content Acquisition program (CA) and we focus on the processes involved in the acquisition of research content. We aim to improve the way we support our researchers, as well as our editors, in their activities around submission towards a simple, fast and convenient experience.
Springer Nature has a portfolio of over 3,000 peer-reviewed journals and books across all areas of science. The Content Acquisition (CA) programme you’ll be joining has been looking at the legacy systems and processes across our imprints and working on creating a world-class submissions experience for our global audience of scientific researchers and editorial staff.
Writing for digital products, you will apply best-practice UX principles to the copy you create. You’ll be on the lookout for ways to improve consistency, clarity and comprehension.
Working closely with the Content Strategist Manager, Product Managers and UX Designers as well as with subject matter experts in other business areas, you ensure we’re applying the right voice and tone to our products, no matter where the user is in their journey. You’ll help the wider business communicate in a way that resonates with our customers and helps them navigate our sites, systems and products with ease.
You will support the Content Strategy Manager and Head of Product Strategy in helping to promote good practices and tools. You’ll help those less familiar with content design do what they can themselves, and know when to ask for help.
Your work will be research-driven but you’ll be comfortable taking an iterative and practical approach as we learn more about where we can make a real difference. You’ll be expected to input into how to show your work has made a positive impact.
What you will be doing:
Within 3 months:
- Understand the core of our processes and customer journeys and the impact copy has on the overall end to end experience.
- Become familiar with the work that is ongoing or already done in the content design space.
- Start creating a plan for tackling our content challenges that takes into account the priorities across the domain (both from a business and customer perspective) with the support from the Content Strategy Manager and Head of Product Strategy.
- Get familiar with the research we have - where it helps you and where we have gaps.
- Start tackling areas of high priority for content redesign to improve performance and customer experience.
- Create relationships with product managers and UX designers in Content Acquisition (primarily) but also partners in other areas of the business.
- Become familiar with our guidance in terms of tone of voice and collaborate on developing the documentation we need to cover tone, guidance and accessibility.
Within 6 months:
- Understand the future experience vision for our different customers and become familiar with the service design blueprints. Using these, map out the biggest content-driven pain points and how they are currently harming our customers and users. Feed this into your content redesign plan.
- Start executing on your content redesign plan and continue to work with stakeholders and colleagues to rationalise, simplify and improve copy across our websites and products.
- Start working with our group’s Content Strategy Manager to understand the needs of the Content Acquisition program of work to develop a culture of good practice.
- Engage in user research and discovery to ensure our approach to writing is meeting the needs of its users.
6 months and beyond:
- Be working proactively with multiple teams and business areas, both in understanding their needs, providing required copy and educating them through collaboration on good content design best practices.
- Continue to create compelling copy that delivers on user, business, and brand needs, as prioritised in your plan.
- Help create a workable, repeatable and resilience process to deal with incoming content design requests.
- Champion the importance of best-in-class UX copywriting as an integral part of digital service delivery.
Internal applicants please inform your line manager when applying for the role.
Springer Nature is a Disability Confident Committed Employer and we encourage applications from candidates with disabilities. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty and wish to submit your application in an alternative format or would like to discuss reasonable adjustments during the application and interview process, please get in touch with us so we can make any necessary arrangements.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Other jobs you may be interested in
UX Designer - Loyalty & Support
Closing 9 February 2023
- Farringdon / Hybrid
Creative Director - Copywriter
Closing 4 April 2023
- Expedia Group
Product Designer (UX/UI)
Closing 4 April 2023
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.