- 37.5 hours (flexible).
- £35,000 - £50,000.
- London with travel.
- Applications close at 12 noon, Monday 24 February 2020.
Snook is a design studio built to make the world more human. We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this with our design team, engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.
Last year, we were ten years old. In the past five years we’ve more than doubled in size to a team of over 40 people, opened a new London studio, and worked with brilliant clients -- from Cancer Research UK to Hackney City Council, Tesco to the Scottish Government.
We have big plans for the next three years and are seeking people who can join us, working with our partners and clients to design services that support people to thrive.
Below, you’ll find information on our requirements, the job responsibilities, our values, what we’re looking for, what we offer, and how to apply.
About the role:
As a content designer, you’ll work with our project teams to design end-to-end services for our clients at Snook.
This role focuses on content design, which combines copywriting with UX design. You will be designing accessible content to guide users through a service or product from start to finish, working with service designers, interaction designers and user researchers. You’ll design written content that the user intuitively grasps across a variety of digital and analogue channels and meets the needs of everyone who will use it.
You will be expected to have the following responsibilities:
- Design content that meets user needs and makes complex language and processes easy to understand and use;
- Work closely throughout the agile service design phases from discovery to live with user researchers, service designers and interaction designers to identify needs, and engage with users or stakeholders to collate user needs evidence;
- Influencing the design of our client’s products and services, and contributing to the overall user experience;
- Ensuring content meets the legislative needs of our clients;
- Prototyping products and services including taking part in usability testing services with user researchers, with a focus on content;
- Manage senior stakeholders and influence decision-making with a strong evidence base of user needs, including presenting, report writing and stakeholder meetings;
- Contribute to our clients’ design systems, setting standards for content design;
- Understand and implement appropriate style and standards;
- Understand what we mean by 'digital inclusion' and 'assisted digital' and how we support universal access to digital services in the future;
- Have a strong understanding of how the design process informs the drafting of content for real user needs;
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of delivering user-centred content to products and services that are live;
- Excellent copywriting and graphic design skills;
- Experience of working with, or comprehensive understanding of the Government Service Standard and the role of content designers within this;
- Knowledge of content design standards;
- Experience and understanding of working in an agile way and at a rapid pace;
- Ability to explain the difference between content writing and content design;
- Experience of working with policy makers or legislative stakeholders to set content constraints;
- Excellent ability to identify user needs and convert them into accessible content;
- Ability to work with agile methodology, understand the variety of delivery methods and jump into projects at different stages;
- Experience of user research, prototyping and usability testing;
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative manner, as part of a team with other designers as well as with stakeholders;
- Web design skills;
- Video and audio design skills;
- Usability testing experience with assistive technology;
Most importantly, you’re looking to join a lovely team and support us in delivering great design work. Definite bonus points include an appreciation for gifs and bad puns.
What we offer
- Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy;
- We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training;
- We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion;
- We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks;
- We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells;
- Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead;
- We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer;
- We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app;
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started;
How to apply:
We strive for diversity in our team. If we’re going to design services for the public we need to ensure our team is inclusive. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages, however you must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a short supporting example of your work in the format of an A4 document highlighting key projects. Send this to with the title Hire me: Content Designer.
In the cover letter, please tell us a little bit about yourself, why you would be a good candidate for the position, and why you want to work at Snook. Please let us know where you saw this job advertised.
We will offer interviews at times that suit you, so if you have children, caring duties, or have to travel after work we’re happy to offer convenient times outside of work hours.
Senior Designer, Motion
Closing 1 March 2020
Lead Digital Designer
Closing 19 March 2020
- Arcadia Group
Want more Content Designer jobs?
Want to find more Copywriter jobs, Graphic Designer jobs, Product Designer jobs, Digital Copywriter jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs, Content Author jobs, Content Director jobs, Content Executive jobs, Content Manager jobs, Copywriter - SEO specialist jobs, Writer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.