We are looking for an experienced and talented Concept Artist to join our team on our Total War Franchise at our studio based in Horsham, West Sussex.
To excel in this role, you will have exceptional skills in a variety of illustration styles, from cultural and traditional to modern, and will have a great imagination.
Working closely with the Project Art Director and Lead 3d Artist, the right candidate should be able to manage the workload of the Concept Art team and provide feedback and suggested improvements to the Concept Artists.
As the Concept Artist on the project, you will demonstrate a strong understanding of anatomy, character poses, lighting and shading, perspective and portraying a character’s personality through their facial expression, pose, gesture and design.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Produce concepts for characters’ outfits, architectural structures, and landscapes, as well as final illustrations of characters and events, that will be used prominently throughout the game and in Brand media
- Be responsible for the managing the small Concept Art team, setting out work in conjunction with the Development Managers, and mentoring and nurturing the Concept Artists
- Work closely with the Project Art Director, Concept Art team and Lead 3D Artist to design and illustrate characters and architecture, that not only look excellent, but that will also work well as 3D models in our game engine.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
- Excellent artistic skills, with a solid understanding of anatomy, character poses, rendering drapery, colour theory and lighting, perspective, composition, facial expressions
- Able to draw Chinese faces well
- An interest in the history, heroes, clothing, and architecture of China
- A portfolio of character and environment concepts and illustrations
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of our previous Total War games, especially Total War historical games
- A background knowledge of the 3D character creation pipelines
- Some understanding of historical architecture design
- Experience in producing great-looking icons for the UI
- Experience with managing a small team of concept artists.
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio/showreel (or link to a portfolio/showreel). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Experienced Set/environment Designer
Closing 11 December 2021
- Blue Zoo Animation Studio
- perm, remote, temp to perm
Environment Artists - New Sci-fi FPS IP
Closing 8 December 2021
Closing 11 December 2021
Want more Concept Artist jobs?
Want to find more 2D Artist jobs, 3D Artist jobs, Artist jobs, Concept Artist jobs, Layout Artist jobs, Special Effects Artist jobs, Texture Artist/Texture Painter jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.