Communications Officer (Social Media & Digital)
Do you have a background in science or health communication? Are you looking for a role that combines your interest in social media and digital communications, with your strong understanding of global health research, clinical and policy-making communities? Do you have a desire to help improve lives worldwide?
The Lancet began as an independent, international weekly general medical journal founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley. Since its first issue, the journal has strived to make science widely available so that medicine can serve, and transform society, and positively impact the lives of people. Over time, The Lancet has evolved into a family of 18 journals, though it still retains its core belief that medicine must serve society, that knowledge must transform society, and that the best science must lead to better lives.
We are looking for an enthusiastic communications officer to join The Lancet’s growing communications and media team at a pivotal time. With more people engaging with our content than ever before, we have ambitious plans to strengthen our web presence and online communities – from Twitter to Facebook – and better serve our key audiences: researchers, clinicians, policy-makers and the media.
The Lancet’s website and its social media channels are important external touch points. Communicating who we are, what we offer, and what we stand for through these social platforms is critical to the delivery of The Lancet’s mission.
Day-to-day, our new communications officer will:
- Take a leadership role in developing and refining our social media strategy – with a core focus on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn – but other channels as opportunities arise.
- Act as the touch point for social media updates, including the management and execution of updates to all The Lancet social media channels.
- Oversee The Lancet speciality journal social media channels, advising on best practice and providing support.
- Act as the touch point for regular and ad-hoc Lancet website updates, including the management and execution of updates to website pages.
- Support our digital product manager and communications officer (website) on website enhancement and overall website strategy.
- Support communications team colleagues on multimedia projects, such as planning, script writing, logistics, video and audio production support, and other digital engagement activities, as and when required.
To excel in this role you will:
- Be adept at communicating complex information, care as much about the detail as the bigger picture, and have your finger on the pulse when it comes to identifying issues that matter most to our audiences.
- Be full of creative ideas to help improve the way we communicate through social media – and you’ll be keen to use your experience and expertise to shape how we grow our communities.
- Have an analytical mind – and a strong grasp of the types of tools that can help us manage and track social performance.
- Be comfortable building strong relationships and networks internally and externally - coordinating content from a wide range of stakeholders, from busy editors and our online production team, to researchers and senior management.
- Embrace diversity – and ensure that it is built into your communications activity.
Lastly, what will be essential, is your ability to be a real team player, happy to work closely within a tight knit team to develop communications materials that educate, inspire, and support our global community to advance human health around the world.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies.
We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath.
Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancetand Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray?s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide.
We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization.
Communications Director (Content, Planning & Editorial)
Closing 21 June 2020
Closing 21 June 2020
Want more Communications Officer (Social Media & Digital) jobs?
Want to find more Planner jobs, Content Author jobs, Content Manager jobs, Social Media Manager jobs, Communications Director jobs, Communications Manager jobs, Media Planner jobs, Social Media Director jobs, Head of Content jobs, Script Writer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.