Chief Sub Editor
Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
As a Chief Sub Editor for Sky News website and app, you will have the power to influence the day’s news agenda and lead amongst our rivals.
You must be a dynamic, multi-skilled reporter, with a flair for headline writing and the ability to spot a top line.
You’ll use your skills to write, sub and edit gripping features, straight, eight-par leads, and engaging live blogs. You will also have the ability and ambition to step up and edit the homepage of the Sky News website and app.
What you’ll do:
- Find, pitch, sub and edit news stories which will be read by millions of people around the world;
- Polish all aspects of our output, text – including notifications and headlines – video and stills;
- Form the last line of defence against legal and editorial mistakes;
- step up to lead the team when called on;
- Be able to work calmly and retain good judgment in a consistently high-pressure environment while juggling differing demands;
- Provide feedback to reporters and manage the performance of freelancers;
- Master the tech to know how to do every task the team carries out.
What you’ll bring:
- First class writing skills (including flawless written English), a flair for headline writing, a great eye for a story and a passion for news;
- a track record in finding, writing and producing stories to a high standard for recognised news organisations;
- experience handling big breaking news scenarios and keeping cool under pressure;
- the organisational ability and mental agility to keep on top of lots of different strands of moving facts simultaneously;
- the judgement to protect our brand while maximising audience numbers;
- hands-on experience of content management systems, photoshop and video production tools
Sky News is a world-class news service with a spirit of innovation and a fresh approach to story-telling. Our aim is to be the best and most trusted place for news, reflecting the diversity of our audience. Made by people who dare to challenge. Made for people who want clarity in an uncertain world.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There’s also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Online Content Editor
Closing 20 November 2021
Closing 20 November 2021
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies
Closing 20 November 2021
Want more Chief Sub Editor jobs?
Want to find more Digital Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Editor jobs, News Editor jobs, Production Editor jobs, Sub Editor jobs, Broadcast Editor jobs, Deputy Editor jobs, Offline Editor jobs, Online Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.