Character Rigger - Xbox Games - Rare
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, continues to thrive – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
We are looking for an experienced Character Rigger with outstanding technical ability in all aspects of skinning, rigging and tool creation. Along with day-to-day rigging duties, you will need to be self-motivated and driven to find issues and optimisations that push the quality of our characters.
- Design, create, test and maintain character/creature animation control rigs.
- Develop techniques to optimise character deformations.
- Collaborate with artists on technical requirements of characters.
- Work with animators to iterate on character control systems.
- Build pipeline tools to optimise art and animation workflows.
- Debug animation-related day-to-day issues.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong knowledge of Maya.
- Experience in creating animation control rigs and skinning characters in games/TV/film/VFX.
- Strong understanding of anatomy.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Solid linear algebra.
- Experience in using cloth simulation systems.
- Experience in writing Maya plugins.
- C++ experience.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience in working with motion capture data.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks:
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 4 April 2023
- perm, remote
$Depending on experience
Want more Character Rigger - Xbox Games - Rare jobs?
Want to find more CG Rigger jobs, Rigger jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.