Character Rigger (Contract)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are looking for a Character Rigger/TD who has experience with Maya rigging/scripting, along with a strong understanding of human anatomy and realistic deformation. You will work with our multi-award winning team while working with AAA Worldwide Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Guerrilla Games, and more.
If you like to be hands-on and have the effective communication skills to ensure output from the rigging team is executed efficiently, timely, and meet our technical and animation requirements, we want to talk to you.
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies.
What you’ll be doing:
- Set up and maintain character (humans & animals) rigs and systems.
- Work with art group to develop models that meets technical requirements.
- Work with animation group to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation/gameplay needs.
- Design and set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair).
- Develop new techniques and processes to further advance quality/realism.
- Collaborate with TDs in on-going facial and muscle simulation research.
- Create tools to streamline workflow/pipeline.
- Work with team directors and production to identify/prioritize tasks.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
What we are looking for:
- Minimum 2 years’ of production experience in game or film/vfx field, with strong understanding of Maya and Python scripting.
- In-depth knowledge of character/prop rigging technique and principles.
- Experience with adopting production pipelines and make improvements that respect guidelines and system requirements.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions.
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and take initiative to seek answers and address issues.
- C++ experience (Maya API).
- Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Want more Character Rigger (Contract) jobs?
Want to find more 3D Modeller jobs, CG Modeller jobs, CG Rigger jobs, Character Animator jobs, Character Designer jobs, Model Maker jobs, Modelling jobs, Rigger jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.