Associate Designer (Project Hire)
The Associate Designer works under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Art Director and/or Production Designer and helps deliver designs (environment, scenic, set dressing, props, costume, etc.) for varying Entertainment projects including, Live shows, Marquee & Shoulder Events, Seasonal Atmosphere, Character Photo Ops, Symphony Activations, and Placemaking efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Production Designers and Art Directors developing concepts via sketches, storyboards, and photo studies to communicate preliminary design ideas.
- May be allocated smaller projects to realize all aspects of the project’s visuals with significant levels of input into the final ‘look’ of the costume, props and set design.
- Assembles drawing packages to relay design details to internal project teams for review/approval and to vendors for bidding and construction.
- Works with licensing team as needed on proper usage of IP imagery, adhering to all style guidelines and specific IP notes.
- Works with design team to produce seasonal overlays and designs as needed.
- Brings thoughtful, on-brand ideas to creative brainstorms and execution of assignments.
- Assists in monitoring onsite art installations during the construction progress, assisting in identifying and resolving any unexpected conditions and/or discrepancies between the construction, drawings, and design intent.
- Performs quality checks for ongoing creative maintenance of scenic elements.
- Collaborates with project team support staff, artists, and vendors in all phases of production.
- Assist in sourcing and choosing materials for final creative intent.
- Maintain an understanding of industry trends and apply that knowledge to design assignments and in field art direction.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of the Universal Studios Hollywood Intellectual Properties (past, present & Licensed) across multiple media including: film, television, theater, parks and games.
- Assist Manager of Costumes with Design intent and costume design packets.
- Attend and participate in all required design team meetings and off site training/creative sessions.
• 3+ years of professional creative work experience preferred.
• Experience and knowledge of creative processes and best practices.
• Must have the ability to be flexible with changing work initiatives; coordinate multiple projects and multi-task efficiently within a fast paced and high-pressure environment while meeting strict deadlines.
• Solid hand and computer drawing and drafting skills (Adobe Photo Shop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch up, AutoCAD).
• Must be able to negotiate with vendors and work professionally with internal partners.
• Must be proficient in scenic applications used in construction of final scenic.
• Expected to be able to work well on own initiative.
• Will be expected to design and execute visuals within a set budget.
• Full-time work schedule with additional hours as needed during weekends, holidays, and nights as required.
• Bachelor's degree in art administration or related field or, equivalent relevant work experience in Theatre, Performing Arts and/or Production.
• Individuals who are creative, experienced, enthusiastic, organized and self-motivated to work with our design team
• Individuals with a strong passion to drive high quality results and are passionate & driven to go above and beyond the job description.
• Creativity and the ability to consistently think outside of the box are musts.
• Needs to be an efficient team member who can easily switch between administrative and creative tasks.
• Solid background in managing design of projects from concept to completion.
• Solid understanding of themed entertainment and live production.
• Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, with confidence to multi-task and delegate as required.
• Ability to drive results through strong leadership and development skills.
• Ability to identify and communicate creative solutions to challenges, and to maintain a consistent focus on priorities with persistent follow-through.
• Confidence to communicate across all lines of business, with all levels of management.
• Ability to deal well with ambiguity and constant change, working in fast-paced environments with accelerated production schedules.
• Must be comfortable working extra hours so that the projects are finished within the assigned timeframe.
Experience Universal Studios Hollywood ™ - where every day is an opportunity to take action, a chance to have fun. We bring to life the ultimate Hollywood entertainment experience with the world’s largest movie studio and heart-pounding rides, shows and attractions. Here, your individuality helps movie-making magic meet real life thrills to inspire memories that last a lifetime. Therefore, we strive to attract the best talent across a range of positions from hourly guest service to professionals. You are encouraged to bring the passion, energy and creativity that will make a difference to the thousands of families and friends who explore our universe every day. Get ready for an epic adventure at a place where you can be Universally You - Universal Studios Hollywood ™, the Entertainment Capital of L.A℠.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
Staff UX Designer
Closing 12 October 2019
Senior Designer, Dockers Men's Bottoms
Closing 12 October 2019
- San Francisco
Want more Associate Designer (Project Hire) jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, Project Designer jobs, Digital Designer jobs, Interactive Designer jobs, Interface (UI) Designer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.