Assistant Social Media Manager, Digital Original Focus (12mth FTC)
The recently created 4Studio is the engine room for C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the mission to create, adapt and distribute brilliant content across the key social media channels. We work very closely with key people and departments within C4 to make this a success.
4Studio is based in C4’s new National HQ in Leeds and is a key component of C4’s regional strategy, creating creative job opportunities outside London and expanding the diversity of the company’s creative contribution.
We are looking for an exceptional individual with a wide knowledge and excitement for youth-skewing, digital culture and content, with enthusiasm, creativity, judgement and organisational skills in equal measure. Working alongside our ‘Digital Originals’ Social Media Manager, you’ll schedule and optimise content across platforms including YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, and help engage our communities in a uniquely Channel 4 way.
This role will help support all accounts across our portfolio, so being a ‘Channel 4 Generalist’ would be a distinct advantage – but there will also be a strong focus on social-first video content and getting it in front of our dedicated audiences. If you’re obsessed with creators, digital formats and the biggest digital brands then this role is for you.
Familiarity with the social media landscape, such as what our competitors are doing and what innovative, new, and trending content is being shared in the social space is essential. You’ll be shaping what, when and how we publish to our accounts and supporting our platform strategies.
You will create and update publishing calendars to syndicate a wide array of content across multiple platforms. This will include (but is not limited to): engaging our audiences with enticing copy, understanding and conveying the right tone of voice for the accounts, and ensuring all content is optimised to reach the right audiences.
You will work closely with 4Studio’s producers and editors who will make our content. You will also work with our strategists and analysts to ensure our Social Media presence supports our remit and remains a disruptive, innovative force in UK broadcasting.
Putting It Out There:
- You will publish and schedule content across all social media channels. This will involve channel management across multiple platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- You will contribute to effective social media strategies from scratch, for many of our channels, and for individual series/programmes. An understanding of Channel 4’s remit and output is essential.
- You will closely follow and immerse yourself in new social media trends and content and use content discovery and social media monitoring tools to assess the landscape in real time and ensure our content is timely and engaging.
- Using your knowledge and insight, you’ll make suggestions on when we can create content outside of our schedule which responds to real-time events and drives engagement with our audience.
- You will need to be comfortable in working with a mix of content types as our output is wide-ranging across video, static imagery, and written word.
- Social media exists to create conversation, so there will be the occasional evening or weekend work to support some community growth on the channels, which includes live tweeting and being involved in big ticket events.
You’re On It!
- You need to be super organised, keeping on top of asset deliveries, scheduling plans and ensuring the best social content gets seen.
- Strong, detailed copywriting skills are essential. You will be suggesting copy for a variety of uses and formats, and making sure copy sent to you is accurate and matches our channel’s tone of voice.
- Time management is key, and you’ll need to be able to work to deadlines and make sure we’re publishing our best-in-class content on time.
- We publish Digital Original content across a variety of channels, so you’ll need to be capable of adapting to the different purposes, voices, and behaviours of the brands we support, and audiences we want to reach.
A Team Player:
- Social Media is an exciting and fast-paced world which is always changing. You’ll need to be a slick communicator and great at letting colleagues know about any new requirements in good time.
- You’ll be watching through social edits to make sure content is suitable for the platforms we publish on and will make it your business to know community guidelines and advertiser-friendly content guidelines inside out. You may also need to work with our Legal and Compliance teams to understand what is and isn’t suitable for our audiences.
- You’ll need to be ready to step in and help other teams with different content and publishing priorities – outside of Digital Originals - especially when it comes to creating engaging community and audience-driven reactive content.
- Whether it’s about our programmes or anything that interests our target audience, you’ll create conversations and join ones that are already happening (e.g, on Twitter or Reddit).
- Many of our programmes have groups of fans online, and we want to engage and enthuse these fans to extend the reach of our content.
- You will need to be curious and a voracious consumer of culture, and ready and willing to share new social trends and content with the wider team.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- You must be experienced in developing brilliant creative work and know how to provide feedback on optimisation and style to colleagues creating social content.
- You need to be familiar with social scheduling and publishing tools, and what is possible across both native ‘creator studio’ style applications, and potential third-party offerings.
- You’ll be a skilled copywriter, able to quickly draft, adapt and provide feedback on different styles of copy – whether quick quips for the Insta comments or Channel descriptions and everything in between.
- Optimising social content wherever it lands to reach bigger and/or focused audiences is a key part of the role, and you’ll need to know why thumbnails, titles, metadata, and tagging are as important as what’s in the content itself.
- Experience using social measurement and reporting tools, and how you’ve learnt from them to inform future social community management.
- A genuine passion for online content, especially on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook and Snapchat.
- Experience of using productivity tools such as Monday or Trello is preferred, but not essential.
- You will need to be willing to work in a rota so Channel 4, Film4, 4Music, Branded Ents, E4 and All 4 are all active at key times. This will sometimes require working at evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
- While we embrace agile working, you will be expected to work 50% of your working hours from the Leeds office if you are on duty between 0930 and 1800 from Monday to Thursday, and between 0930 and 1730 on Friday. If you are on duty outside these hours, you are welcome to work from the toilet or the moon as long as you get the job done.
- You will be eligible for all Channel 4’s employee Benefits.
Application questions to completeTo complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Please outline how you meet the ‘Essential Experience & Skills’ outlined in the Job Description (Max 500 words)
There are a million reasons why it’s great to work at Channel 4, here are just a few of the perks for you:
• 26 days annual leave (including a day off for your birthday)
• Company funded Private Medical Insurance
• A generous Group Personal Pension
• Access to our flexible benefits scheme including dental, travel insurance, health screenings and more!
Other jobs you may be interested in
Senior Communications & Marketing Officer
Closing 26 March 2023
- National Trust
- perm, part time
£20,530 per annum
Digital Marketing Manager
Closing 23 May 2023
- Arla Foods
Global Brand Manager
Closing 23 May 2023
- Arla Foods
Want more Assistant Social Media Manager, Digital Original Focus (12mth FTC) jobs?
Want to find more Digital Marketing Manager jobs, Social Media Executive jobs, Social Media Manager jobs, Marketing Executive jobs, Marketing Manager jobs, Strategy Manager jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.