Assistant Picture Editor
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Picture Editor to join the team.
You will be responsible for assisting the Head of Pictures and supporting the Picture Editor across print and online. You will have excellent contacts within the picture industry including picture agencies, PR's and photographers.
We are looking for a professional with an eye for great pictures and an interest in photography.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Ensure Print & Online have the best pictures available to the editorial team using tools available.
- Produce eye-catching mains/banners for the website.
- On top of administrative duties required to ensure correct reporting of picture usage.
- Be forthcoming with suggestions that would improve the overall look of the site.
- Picture tasting from the wires.
- Search social media for new, relevant newsworthy images to accompany a breaking news story for print online.
- Liaise with desk heads and reporters to make sure jobs are covered.
- Work with picture researchers to ensure the appropriate images are sourced for stories/features.
- Generate ideas for picture led features.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Experience of the picture industry.
- Understanding and keen interest in current affairs.
- Sound legal knowledge.
- A good knowledge of Photoshop.
- Self-motivated and enjoy working as part of a team.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with excellent time management skills.
- This job involves shift work, including evenings and weekends. Hours will vary and candidates must be flexible.
- Adept at picking up new systems CHP / ContentWatch / Escenic / Photoshop / Photomechanics.
- Calm under pressure with the ability to pick out the best images for a story against deadline.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave.
- Defined progression pathway.
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Share save scheme.
- Simply Health Cash Plan.
- A brilliant induction and learning hub.
- Holiday purchase scheme.
- Technology purchase scheme.
- Car purchase scheme.
- Discounted gym membership.
- Lots of high street discounts.
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Assistant News Editor (Live)
Closing 7 December 2021
- Reach Plc
Closing 18 January 2022
- ASOS plc
Junior Video Editor, 4Studio
Closing 6 December 2021
- Channel 4
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.