Assistant Design, Jewelry
As part of our creative team, you’ll bring our iconic brands to life for the world. From apparel designer to copywriter to site designer and beyond, Macy’s is your destination for creative opportunities.
The Design Assistant is responsible for assisting in interpreting the Private Brand direction into materials, trims, styles, colors and patterns. The position will support the Design team in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The Design Assistant will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner who possesses professional maturity and ability to build strong partnerships. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective leading through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
• Make “company first” decisions.
• Ability to influence partners.
• Actively influence market to drive business.
• Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training.
• Take responsibility for own development plan and curriculum.
• Develop innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges.
• Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership.
• Self-motivated and demonstrates initiatives.
• Relishes in a fast paced environment and is effective under pressure.
• Leverage collaborative partnerships with counterparts to drive business strategies.
In Season Forecasting:
• Assist on in-season Design changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development and Buying Team.
• Assist in creating and distributing fabric development packages.
• Assist in creating and distributing color cards, trim cards and pattern development sheets.
• Collaborate with CAD artists in developing print and pattern designs.
• Participate in strategic meetings with recommended assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management).
• Assist in identifying the key programs that comprise each classification.
• Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility.
• Create and distribute design development Package components.
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection:
• Assist in the design of exclusive products and development of trends that support merchant objectives and Macy’s brand.
• Prepare line and presentation materials/set-up for line previews and buy meetings.
• Assist in identifying specific materials, color palettes, patterns and prints for the season.
• Support VP of Design, Designer/Design Director in managing the needs of the Design Team.
• Participate in research and development of seasonal trends.
• Assist in shopping the retail and trend (fabric/color/fashion) markets seeking new merchandise ideas, as needed.
• Assist in developing flat mechanical sketches for design development packages (to technical design and overseas).
• Assist in selecting styles, materials and colors that fit into the program and style plans.
• Assist in reviewing development samples.
• Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendars.
• Assist in the tracking and approval of fabric samples, lab dips, strike-offs and other development materials.
• Assist in approval of counter samples.
Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design:
• Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy’s. Represent and support the Macy’s brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships.
• Maintain daily contact with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic).
• Partner with Product Team in set-up and presenting to customers divisions at line reviews and buy meetings for area of responsibility.
• Communicate regularly with product management to gather input and share line development direction.
• Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share line development direction.
• Communicate regularly with product management to share line development direction.
• Use Design programs for style, color and pattern development.
• Assist at fit sessions with Technical Design and Design Teams.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Fine Arts.
• Experience in retail, or design internships.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
• Presentation and organization skills.
• Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy.
• Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges. Identify any product opportunities and provide suggestions.
• Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Proficiency in PC operation, MS office and Excel.
• Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and PLM.
• Strong color sense/print sense.
• Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum.
• Developing and coaching Interns and Executive Trainees.
• Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance.
• Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
• Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
• Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
• Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
• Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
• Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Executive Communications Designer (Contract)
Closing 4 January 2020
- San Francisco
Footwear Surface Designer I (Color, Materials, Graphics)
Closing 4 January 2020
Want more Assistant Design, Jewelry jobs?
Want to find more Art Department Junior jobs, Artworker jobs, Creative Artworker jobs, Graphic Designer jobs, Fashion Graphic Designer jobs, Jewellery Designer jobs, Art Department Assistant jobs, Packaging Artworker jobs, Print Designer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.