About The Role:
As Art Director you will be responsible for creating and maintaining the visual style and quality of the show. Working closely with the Director and Production Managers, as well as clients/ Producers, to deliver visual solutions for the show’s story requirements. As Leader of the Design Team, the Art Director will also inspire and elevate the artists to deliver their best work and have fun while doing it!
You will be familiar with the animation pipeline and have demonstrable experience of hands-on production work for design and colour. You will also have experience working in a fast-paced environment and be a team player with a positive, can-do attitude.
Day to Day:
- Facilitating the requirements for story and the Directors’ vision for characters, sets and props that establish and maintain the show’s unique visual style throughout the animation pipeline.
- Analyse episodic scripts to determine key characters, props and sets.
- Develop and communicate a clear design vision (including characters, locations, props, backgrounds, lighting, and colour) that will support and maintain the overall creative vision and quality for the story and style of the project.
- Liaising with production managers and coordinators to agree the best use of budget and schedule of work, finding practical solutions to creative problems and working to a TV production turnaround.
- Managing the art department of four designers and providing practical direction to the pre production and lighting/ comp teams.
- Oversee workflow to ensure all deadlines are met, communicating with the Animation Director and/or other departments to anticipate and tackle potential design and production challenges and issues
- Liaising and communicating with the client team.
- Mentor and support the Design team and cultivate positive team morale.
- Experience in a lead designer or art director position.
- Substantial experience in a designer position.
- Excellent aesthetic judgement with strong drawing and painting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to meet deadlines and keep a team on schedule.
- Experience supervising a design team including delegating, giving feedback, and providing constructive criticism to creatives.
- Comprehensive knowledge of tools and software such as Cintiq, Photoshop, or other applicable design software.
- Ability to create concepts for characters, props and sets and ability to adapt and work within different styles as required.
- Understanding and experience leading in a TV or Game animation pipeline.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Strong knowledge of colour theory and lighting.
- Experience of planning and assessing the design needs from scripts and brief the concept team accordingly.
- Knowledge of storyboarding and cinematography.
- Able to think laterally and creatively to problem solve and produce great design solutions efficiently while working to tight deadlines.
- 3D experience is an advantage
- You volunteer for new challenges, you care passionately about your work, you are super organised.
- You thrive in a studio environment, you can focus on your work in a busy studio. You like to learn new things, and you learn quickly. When things change you can roll with the punches.
- You enjoy creative problem solving - you love taking on challenges and finding creative solutions. You don't get flustered easily. If you don’t know the answer you’ll dig until you find it.
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world. Blue Zoo believes that a healthy balance in our lives - whatever our situation - is key to supporting the wellbeing of our staff. We offer flexible working to support this.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (benefits):
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Inclusive self-funded shorts programme.
- Many fun social events throughout the year - even though they have to be remote for the foreseeable!
- Bi-monthly staff feedback and engagement programme.
- Friday "beer o'clock" and talks programme!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including loads of discounts and offers.
- Online wellbeing programme.
- Profit participation (for staff who have been with us for 2+ years).
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Advertising Art Director - Social & Digital (m/f/d)
Closing 20 December 2021
- perm, from remote
Closing 20 December 2021
- Grey London
Associate Creative Director (Shopper)
Closing 18 December 2021
- Momentum Worldwide
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.