The Art Director is responsible for interpreting ideas communicated by the Director/Key Creative of a show(s) into concept art for Feature Film and Television work.
- Responsible for creating or providing concept art, photo reference, and video reference to communicate ideas and develop goals for the design and look of a show(s).
- Provides conceptual paintovers and look direction for sequences and key shots for directorial approval. Art work is then used as a template for CG artists to complete work.
- Provides creative direction and feedback to a team of concept artists, supervising the creation of artwork and materials; leads team to stay on schedule.
- Oversees the creation of CG assets from Concept art, ensuring design continuity through the production process.
- Responsible for interacting directly with clients, including Directors and Production Designers during production periods and at spec and bid work phases; ensures first unit production design and aesthetic is carried through post production and refined according to the director’s vision.
- Partners with CG leadership, ensuring work is done according to the specifications of Director/Key Creatives.
- Tracks and archives all work including project files, renders, source images, and textures.
- Partners with production on bids and scheduling, proactively raising concerns and offering solutions when necessary.
- Actively participates in dailies and transmissions.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or proven industry related experience.
- Experience in Film or Video Effects and/or Film production, including knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition.
- Full portfolio demonstrating high-level art skills and breadth of subject matter.
- Developed “eye” and strong aesthetic.
- Clear understanding of anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- Demonstrated understanding and creation of a variety of styles and techniques.
- Experience creating environments, hard surface, and creature design.
- Ability to work closely with CG leadership and within a production environment.
- Ability to support different productions with various design needs.
- Ability to work under pressure while implementing changes based on input from multiple sources.
- Excellent organizational skills.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Proficiency in design software required (Photoshop, ZBrush Sketch-up, Modo, etc.).
- Ability to assemble research and reference material that will be influential to clients and design team.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Closing 14 August 2019
- Industrial Light & Magic
Closing 30 July 2019
- Beyond The Book
- Near Coventry
- perm, temp
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.