At DreamWorks Animation Television, our Art Directors are responsible for creating and maintaining the visual style and quality of the show. As the leader of the Design Team, the Art Director should also inspire and elevate the artists to deliver their best work—and have fun while doing it!
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for an Art Director to join its in-house team in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild. We are seeking candidates who are familiar with the CG animation pipeline and experienced in hands-on production work for design and color.
- Collaborate with the Supervising Producer and Directors to discuss creative ambitions and producibility for each episode.
- Develop and communicate a clear design vision (including Characters, Locations, Props, Backgrounds, FX, Lighting, and Color) that will support the overall creative vision for the story and style of the project.
- Prepare for and lead design handouts by communicating overall direction, design requirements, and expected level of polish to the Design team.
- Participate in design and color reviews, provide clear notes for revisions, and assist with revisions as needed.
- Oversee creation of model packs and style guides with our Partner Studios in mind, including but not limited to expressions, character construction, mouth charts, and character turnarounds.
- Communicate creative notes to the internal HUB team.
- Liaise with Studio Management and Show Leadership to manage the creation of assets for PR, Marketing, and CP.
- Provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with production staff.
- Participate in the talent acquisition process with the Line Producer to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed feedback.
- Mentor and support the Design team and cultivate positive team morale.
● Ability to create concepts and turnarounds for characters, props and sets and oversee their translation into 3D.
● Considerable knowledge of color theory, lighting, staging and perspective.
● Significant painting and drawing experience necessary.
● Substantial design, construction and mechanical skills.
● Demonstrates proficiency in style of show.
● Comfortable and experienced with design workflows in 3D using Modo, Maya and/or Zbrush.
● Understanding and experience leading in a 3D animation pipeline preferred.
● Experience supervising a design team including delegating, giving feedback, and providing constructive criticism to creatives.
● Strong organization and time management skills.
● Proven ability to meet deadlines and keep a team on schedule.
● Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Is a team player, who genuinely enjoys working with others.
● 5-7 years of experience as a Production Artist.
● Prior experience working in television animation.
● Extensive knowledge of the CG animation process.
● Ideal candidates will be able to provide applicable portfolio samples.
● Prior experience leading and fostering a team.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred.
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
Senior Art Director - Sunnyvale
Closing 16 April 2020
- San Francisco
Junior Art Director
Closing 18 April 2020
- Costa Mesa
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.