Animator Intern (Apex Legends)
Electronic Arts is the leading interactive entertainment company, powered by innovative technology. We create incredible experiences for millions of players around the world. But what matters most is our people who inspire us, and the world, to play. As we bring new forms of entertainment to people around the world, we need creative, collaborative, diverse and adaptable people to keep making Electronic Arts better.
Electronic Arts is looking for high performing students to join our world-class internship experience. Summer 2023 will be better than ever as we bring all interns together on-site for orientation week and prep students for the future ways of work by offering remote and hybrid opportunities depending on your location. For more information about our Next-Gen Program.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We’re looking for a highly skilled Character Animator who will embrace our philosophy and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
Games have evolved to the point that animators must be true storytellers rather than just technicians. We believe that animation breathes life into a game and that animation is a key part of defining the next generation of games, bringing about their most memorable moments: moments that gamers don’t simply sit back and watch, but moments that they live.
We’re picturing someone who will help us tell stories and express emotions through remarkable animations and gameplay. If this sounds like you, we're looking forward to seeing your resume!
What’s it like to be an Animator at Respawn?
- Feel - Our studio puts a big emphasis on fun gameplay and characters! We want responsive, immersive gameplay that just feels right, while injecting as much personality into our characters that populate the Apex universe. Our animators contribute directly to this effort through their high quality, believable animations. They work closely with game designers and narrative teams to help make gameplay and characters look, perform, and FEEL amazing.
- Inspiration - Our animators inspire the rest of the team and each other. We have regular show-and-tells and seeing animators take things to the next level with their great work energizes everyone. The animation team is constantly working to evolve our animations to raise the industry bar.
- Resources - We have our own mocap stage and our animation team members are directly involved in seeing their vision through on the stage. Our animators can throw on the suit themselves and act out their ideas, or they can work with actors to get the data they need. You can see how our team uses mocap in this video (which features some from the animation team collaborating together to bring our characters to life).
- Values - Our animation teams are aligned on their values. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff for players. Our leads also make a lot of effort to ensure that the animators work on assignments they are excited about.
- Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. Our animators take their work from conceptualization to shipping. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
What do we look for in Animator candidates?
- Currently enrolled in a college, university degree program and set to graduate between Fall 2023 - Summer 2024.
- Available to work full-time hours (40hrs per week) for 12 weeks in Summer 2023
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Hand Keyed Animations - We look for talented key frame animators. Although we do use mocap as a powerful tool, our animators will often hand key their work from scratch or use key-frames to improve or add their own personal flair to mocap data.
- Realism/Believability - Our work tends to be realistic as opposed to highly stylized. We love seeing realistic, key-framed human motion in reels. That’s the best way for us to understand how well you could deliver similar work here. If your reel contains mainly stylized animations, we look for the same signs of quality such as believability, polish, and impressive acting.
- Passion - We look for animators who are highly passionate. Our animation team is constantly sharing inspiration and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team loves what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience – We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people with a keen eye for quality.
- Teamplayer – Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will work closely with other departments such as design, vfx, audio, engineering, and art. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you will have…
- A strong desire to learn the inner workings video game related animation development.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid, foundational understanding of the core animation principals, particularly around body mechanics, timing and posing.
- Proactive and self motivated to work autonomously, as well as part of a team.
- Must be a strong team contributor. Sounds cliché, but it is very important to our success.
- Solid knowledge and familiarity animating with Maya would be most advantageous.
- Experience with full body character animations
- First person weapon animations are a big plus!
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Other jobs you may be interested in
Closing 4 April 2023
- Electronic Arts
- perm, remote
$19 to 48 per hour
Graduate Animator (541) [New IP]
Closing 28 March 2023
- Royal Leamington Spa
- perm, remote
Closing 22 February 2023
- Industrial Light & Magic
- perm, remote
Want more Animator Intern (Apex Legends) jobs?
Want to find more Digital Animator jobs, 2D Animator jobs, 3D Animator jobs, Animation Artist jobs, Animation Design Assistant jobs, Animator jobs, CG Animator jobs, Character Animator jobs, Motion Graphics Designer jobs, Motion Graphics Editor jobs, Special Effects Animator jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.