Android Software Engineer - The Telegraph
Android Software Engineer
The Telegraph’s mission is to deliver quality, trusted, award-winning journalism, 24 hours a day and across all the platforms our customers use – digital and print.
Our portfolio includes The Telegraph website and app, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph print titles and The Telegraph Edition app.
Recently named as the UK’s leading quality news brand, our digital content reaches more than 27 million users across the UK (UKOM MMX MP).
As our Android Software Engineer you will work as part of a strong cross-functional Agile team on The Telegraph phone and tablet apps, bringing them to the next level of innovation and usability and creating an engaging and satisfying experience for the end-user. You’ll deliver across the entire mobile apps lifecycle, from concept, design, build, deploy, test - right through to release to app stores and support.
Key Role Requirements:
- You will develop and extend the reach of our highly-rated existing applications, discussing with the Mobile Tech Leads what is the best way of implementing the requirements defined by the business. This will include collaborating with product owners and design colleagues to deliver inspirational apps, and continue to optimise their performance post release, providing effective support in identifying pitfalls and the root cause/solution of any issue that may arise post release.
- Develop and produce functional solutions in accordance to architecture design standards, code quality standards and environment configuration management.
- Build prototypes at tech scoping stage of projects and create and maintain a robust technical framework to support the apps
- Design and implement reusable components to connect to our set of APIs, working closely with the Tech Leads in defining the best architectural approach.
- Work in a matrix managed, fast paced Engineering team, helping drive the delivery and technical competency of your team and the entire department forward.
- Work in an agile, cross functional team, taking responsibility for the engineering team deliverables and quality.
- Work with the Solution Architects and the Tech Leads to ensure the team delivers to required quality and adheres to the defined best practices.
- Be proactive, be hands on, involved in all tasks and take on sprint backlog items.
- Seek out and actively promote ideas and techniques in the community – both within The Telegraph and externally in the broader developers community
- Understand the impact of any changes to the bigger The Telegraph eco-system
- Take responsibility for the delivery for tasks from initial design to delivery into production and support
- Understand the impact changes will have on load and performance
- Support the QA Engineers in your team defining test scenarios and related cases, identifying tools and best practices to ensure the quality of our products is always at a very high level.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Deep knowledge of the Android platform and SDK, Android Studio and additional tools (e.g. Gradle, Genymotion, Monkey test tool, Espresso and memory management tools) and proven experience in developing engaging Native Android applications across different devices and stores.
- A good understanding of Android design guidelines/best practices and the ability to engage with the creative team to deliver pragmatic solutions, balancing design, quality and velocity
- Proven experience with outside data sources and API’s (JSON, SOAP, Rest, XML)
- Flair for clean code, reusability, testability (TDD, SOLID) and readability
- OO design skills and ability to produce clean, maintainable, decoupled and testable code
- Confident working with version control systems such as Stash or Git
- Hands-on experience of continuous delivery.
- Excellent understanding of the Agile principles and proven experience into translating those in the daily task developing mobile apps. Great knowledge of the Atlassian suite of tools
- Ability to write Unit Tests, structuring the code in the best possible way for that scope
- Solid understanding and practical knowledge of the full mobile development and application lifecycle
- Experience with mobile development issues related to performance optimisation, caching, security and native components / SDK's
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and emerging technologies
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organisation and external 3rd parties / suppliers
Useful Additional Skills:
- Any exposure to automated testing, specifically using Espresso, Robolectric, Robotium, Appium and uiautomator
- Experience with A/B testing, test coverage and other best practices.
- Experience with HTML5 / NodeJS
- Experience with Facebook SDK (authentication)
- Experience with Google DFP SDK
- Experience in integrating an analytics SDK
- Experience with at least one server-side technology (e.g. PHP) and REST API development
What you get back:
25 days holiday; rising to 30 days after 3 years service, private pension, plus lifestyle, health & wellbeing and financial benefits.
Technical Lead Developer
Closing 12 July 2018
- Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment
- £35,000 to 40,000 p/a
UX Designer - Games
Closing 12 July 2018
- £40,000 to 50,000 p/a
Want more Android Software Engineer - The Telegraph jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, App Developer jobs, Software Engineer jobs, Information Architect jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.