3D Character Concept Sculptor
We’re looking for an experienced Character Concept Sculptor and designer to join our team, who enjoys the buzz of creating shape and form whilst implementing designs to bring our characters to life.
Your day-to-day will focus on creating detailed, stylised assets based on informative concept designs, whilst meeting production deadlines and that all important brief from our Directors and Clients.
Due to the current government guidelines on the continuing pandemic, all job opportunities we offer will remain remote for the foreseeable future.
Day to day:
- Working as part of a small team to define characters across an array of shows, executing strong character posing and expressions
- Managing your time efficiently to meet the deadlines
- Making sure your work is communicating the design, ideas and acting choices clearly from blocking through to the final animation.
- Responding positively to, and acting on notes and feedback from your Lead.
- Effectively realising a 2D concept through to 3D, as well as being able to work with minimal design.
- Strong 2D and 3D design skills
- Excellent knowledge of animal and human anatomy
- Strong creative eye for organic form
- A solid understanding of Zbrush or similar software
- Eye for detail and able to QC own work to ensure highest quality before handing off assets
- Ability to take design from ambiguous to full design implementation
- Detail oriented and good eye
- A solid understanding of Substance Painter, Maya, or Photoshop
- Identify potential issues and provides solutions
- Ability to receive feedback and respond to direction
- Time management and prioritising skills
- Ability to share your knowledge and skills with other team members
- Ability to be a team player and great collaborator
- Creative problem solving skills
- Previous experience within Animation, VFX or Games industry.
Previous traditional drawing and sculpting.
- You thrive in a studio environment, you can focus on your work in a busy studio.
- You like to learn new things, and you learn quickly. When things change you can roll with the punches.
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
The studio is going through an exciting period of growth and we are building a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy artists, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world. Blue Zoo believes that a healthy balance in our lives - whatever our situation - is key to supporting the wellbeing of our staff. We offer flexible working to support this.
We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and are motivated by change. You’ll work alongside a talented and diverse group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
What we’ve got for you (benefits):
- Winner of Best Places to Work in TV 2019 and 2020!
- Inclusive self-funded shorts programme
- Many fun social events throughout the year - even though they have to be remote for the foreseeable!
- Bi-monthly staff feedback and engagement programme
- Friday "beer o'clock" and talks programme!
- Comprehensive benefits package, including loads of discounts and offers
- Online wellbeing programme
- Profit participation (for staff who have been with us for 2+ years)
Blue Zoo is committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies.
To be engaged our people have to feel included and valued. We work hard to build and nurture a culture where inclusiveness is embedded in the way we work, not just an initiative. We strive to engender a studio community that feels a deep sense of pride and commitment that transcends any role, department or level and works together to produce excellent and engaging work.
Want more 3D Character Concept Sculptor jobs?
Want to find more 3D Artist jobs, Visualiser - 3D jobs, 3D Designer jobs, 3D Modeller jobs, 3D Animator jobs, CG Modeller jobs, Character Animator jobs, Character Designer jobs, Model Maker jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.