A versatile journalist and publications professional with excellent standards of US and UK English, a meticulous eye for detail, rigorous fact-checking, and creative layout and production skills. Experience includes over 20 years' publishing work across a broad range of topics and media -- from children's fiction and adult travel/leisure books to B2B financial and energy newspapers, consumer and trade magazines and websites, STM journals, and corporate and charity literature.
I am currently freelancing for various clients, but interested in relevant full-time editorial roles offering fresh opportunities. Please contact me if you have a permanent role you would like to discuss or are interested in commissioning me for work involving any of my specialisms as detailed below.
- Researching and writing news, features, press releases, interviews and event/venue reviews for print and digital publication;
- Editing (from light copy-editing to substantive -- including fiction, non-fiction, academic, etc);
- Sub-editing and production management (including flatplanning, design, layout and picture research using Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and various CMSs; writing creative headlines, standfirsts and captions; fact-checking; doing final proofreads, flight checks and uploads of PDFs/e-mags to printers/web; subbing and uploading news stories to the web; managing budgets and schedules; commissioning freelancers; hiring, training and monitoring production desk; etc);
- Americanizing/Anglicising texts for co-edition publishing (including knowledge of AP and Chicago styles);
- Editorial management, including client liaison; commissioning and managing authors, illustrators, freelancers, etc; briefing designers; tracking and monitoring projects from inception through to completed product; managing budgets, schedules and teams; print buying and negotiating with suppliers; and
- Proofreading and quality control (QC).