Indonesia’s illiteracy among children is rising at an alarming rate. In 2017 alone, 2.5 million children dropped out of school. Poverty is the main reason. Parents could barely afford to put food on table, let alone breakfast before school. Consequently, instead of school, kids resort to making money on the street. This cycle continues and eventually they lose all interest in studying. We believe a little incentive is needed to get kids back to school.
Meal before school is common to most, but it is rare thing to have for poor children. Based on this problem, we created an idea that could feed the poor children and educate them at the same time.
THE EXECUTION & CRAFT
Introducing Clever Cash, a social project that is designed to feed children, and educate them at the same time. Working with school teachers and volunteers, we visited poor parents in slum areas, and distributed Clever Cash notes to those willing to give school another chance. Each Clever Cash note is printed with questions based on textbooks. Questions are easily solvable with the help of their textbooks or from teachers. The Clever Cash with completed answer can be used to buy food at school canteen, as good as using real money, but in a fun and educating way.
How It Works:
CLEVER CASH MATH: (2 x 500) + 4,000 = ?
The answer is 5,000 = Indonesia Rupiah 5,000 = Cash that can buy fried noodle at canteen.
CLEVER CASH ENGLISH: Can you write ten thousand in number form?
The answer is 10,000 = Indonesia Rupiah 10,000 = Cash that can buy fried rice with egg at canteen.
Clever Cash is now a nationwide project. A website was created for organisations and companies to pledge their support, download and print the Clever Cash notes for their own project use, with the hope of not only bringing food to more poor children, but also bringing them back to schools.
Numerous organisations registered and downloaded Clever Cash notes in the first 4 weeks, benefitting thousands of poor children. The media picked up the news. Massive amount of people shared the website on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
01. D&AD Award - Graphite Pencil (Experiential)
02. Spikes Asia - Bronze (Brand Experience & Activation)
03. Spikes Asia - Bronze (Outdoor)
04. Busan AdStars - Gold (Public Service - Education)
05. Busan AdStars - Gold (Design - Communication Design)
06. Busan AdStars - Silver (Diverse Insights)
07. Busan AdStars - Bronze (Direct - Ambient Media)
08. Busan AdStars - Bronze (Promotion - Use of Promotional Stunt)
09. Busan AdStars - Crystal (Outdoor - Ambient)
10. Adfest - Finalist (Design - Poster)
11. The Work - Ambient / Guerilla
12. The Work - Experiential
13. The Work - User Experience
14. The Work - Work For Good