Gravity Road developed an insightful, audience-first strategy with smart social platform distribution-thinking baked-in and turned the tradition use of brand ambassadors on its head. This led to an authentic creative campaign that non-poker playing audiences genuinely wanted to spend time with.
We identified the unique space that the mind of a sporting superstar shares with the mind of the target audience – which is that maverick minds share an instinct to pit their wits and enjoy meeting any challenge, no matter how small or trivial.
We succeeded in bringing that insight to life in the most native way possible, mimicking the topical social media feuds dominating headlines at the time by creating two faux battles of wit/skill between four elite superstar athletes that non-poker playing audiences could relate to, then playing it out authentically over their social channels.
• Drive awareness of poker amongst new, non-poker playing audiences in global markets
• Reposition poker, fight against perceptions of it as a game of luck for reckless chancers, re-shape new perceptions of poker as a competitive mind-sport for in-control achievers
• Come up with a video-led social media idea with enough cultural traction to achieve 20million views
• We executed a content-led campaign featuring a series of videos tagged and posted on talents’ social feeds that gamified everyday life into extraordinary feats
• The campaign was split into two phases and was kicked off by Neymar Jr. challenging Brazilian Ronaldo. The two Brazilian footballers competed over six social duels, trying to raise each other with more impressive displays of ingenuity every time
• Duels included ‘making breakfast’ which saw Neymar Jr flip an egg into a pan over his head to make an omelette, to ‘drone wars’ which saw Ronaldo deliver his toothbrush to himself in his bedroom via a drone
• The second part of the campaign began with Chicago Bulls' Dwyane Wade showing his impressive morning wake-up routine, only for Cristiano Ronaldo to #raiseit with a morning routine of his own
• Authenticity and platform understanding were prioritized over everything in the production approach, shooting in vertical video and using iPhones on the shoot alongside high-end equipment
• Campaign has achieved over 110million views to date.
• Launched on Facebook as the lead channel with four global sports stars, and supported on Instagram with a suite of influencers.
• Achieved 68 million views on Facebook, 40 million being organic, with an average of £0.01p per video from a paid media perspective.
• 37 million views on Instagram, all organic.
• Became Ronaldo’s most viewed video ever on Instagram
• Prompted brand awareness globally (11 markets) has risen by 3% from Jan 2016 to July 2016
• Beaten campaign benchmarks five times over
• Videos scored 10 out of 10 for relevancy and had 100% completion rate on Facebook
• Over 11m likes, 405k shares and 200k comments
• Ronaldo’s first video alone generated over $5m in AVE through PR coverage including ESPN, CNN, Mail Online, Daily Mail and FOX to name a few
• Resulting in PokerStars most successful social media campaign ever