Glenfiddich is the definitive Speyside single malt whisky, and enjoys unrivalled awareness. However, one common challenge that all single malt whisky’s face is a low rate of sale.
There are several barriers that face the category as a whole, and at the forefront of these, is a lack of understanding around whisky and how it can, and should be enjoyed.
With the age-old associations of ‘quiet fireside moments’ and preconceptions that surround the category, Glenfiddich asked us to shake things up to create a shift in behaviour.
We had to get people to ‘Unlearn Whisky’.
Given that up to a third of drinkers are prepared to change their drink choice based on staff recommendation, we knew that educating bar staff and rewarding advocacy would need to play a critical role in our plan.
With a burning desire to make a difference and inspire people to discover this fantastic drink for themselves, ‘Unlearn Whisky’ became the central platform that inspired our activation.
The campaign was executed over 5-month period, across three main touchpoints:
1) A comprehensive bar staff training program including a bespoke digital training tool, supported by mystery shopping to reward recommendation,
2) A suite of disruptive POS, created to deliberately challenge the ‘whisky myths’ and create wider visibility in outlet,
3) An integrated route to market campaign, rewarding staff for kits sited to drive rate of sale and sell-in.
- Activated in 8250 accounts
- +60% sales uplift across free trade accounts
- +4370% cases sold in Tennents Caledonian
- One very happy client: “One of the most successful campaigns we’ve done with Quantum was our ‘Unlearn Whisky’ campaign. Actually, in our whole on-trade history, this was the most successful”. Lindsay Hitzeroth, Senior Customer Marketing Manager, William Grant and Sons