Senior Software Engineer - News Apps - iOS - BBCThis job listing has expired
We’re looking for a great engineer to help us to build a fantastic BBC News experience for our UK and global audience. In addition to our UK app we also create and manage BBC News apps for Arabic, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, and Welsh language users, with more to follow. Joining the BBC News team is an opportunity to engage with an audience of millions of users across the globe every day.
Recent work includes a new experience around portrait video for phones; new apps for worldwide BBC audiences (including right-to-left languages); and the introduction of multivariant testing to aid product decisions. Additionally we’re working hard to make the app more intelligent and personal, and to deliver great user experiences around that theme.
We like our team to feel ownership over the apps, and to collaborate across our in-house Product, UX, QA, and back-end teams. We encourage input and engagement to help influence and improve the app experience for all our users. Having a team approach is important to us, and we want new members to share this ethos.
We use an Agile process and aren’t afraid to adapt and change to fit what works best for us as a team. Software design is important to us, as is the ability to find solutions that can allow us to move quickly whilst keeping things scalable and maintainable. We like to continually improve our code and encourage refactoring where it makes sense. Having experience of when a quick fix is or isn’t the answer is also important. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with engineers across other BBC apps and services to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of an organisation serving a global audience.
Learning is an important part of the role, and as a team member you’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other reasonable resources you find necessary to progress as an engineer. Discussion of new ideas and practices is encouragedRole Responsibility
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Effectively participate in and help improve the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
- Knowledge of common design patterns
- Unit testing and TDD/BDD
- Source control systems
- App store environments and processes
- Collaboration with third-party providers
- Understanding of best-practice UX for your native platform, as well as an understanding of others
- Measuring how users engage with our apps
- Knowledge of consuming HTTP based services, their optimisation and performance
- Use of Continuous Integration
- Accessibility and Localisation
- Understand implications of change on a large active user base
Specifically for iOS, knowledge of the following areas is required
- Objective C and Swift
- Interface Builder and Auto Layout
- App provisioning and distribution methods
- App Store processes
You should also have expertise in some (but not necessarily all!) of
- Dependancy injection
- Dependancy management (CocoaPods/Carthage etc)
- AV Foundation
If you decide to apply – and we hope that you will – you’ll find a box asking you to describe how you meet the requirements of this role. We’re more than happy for you to do so, but if you can then we’ll love for you to tell us more about yourself in a more natural way than a CV might allow. What areas of technology interest you? What parts of what you’ve worked on in the past most got you going? Maybe you have some interesting problems that you’ve solved that you’d like to tell us about. Or leave the box blank, if you prefer.Package Description
W1About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
Sorry this job has been removed from Creativepool
Front-end Digital Designer for SportFX Web
Closing 16 August 2017
- Sports Direct
- Shirebrook based NG20
- £18k - £22k dependent on experience
Midweight Visual Designer
Closing 18 August 2017
Want more Senior Software Engineer - News Apps - iOS - BBC jobs?
Want to find more Product Designer jobs, App Designer jobs, App Developer jobs, Backend Web Developer jobs, Software Engineer jobs, User Experience (UX) Designer jobs, Web Designer jobs, Web Developer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.