Senior Software Engineer - BBCThis job listing has expired
The myBBC project was created to ensure the BBC was able to offer a different, more personalised service to each of our audience members, to run alongside the brilliant broadcast service we currently have. To do that we need to collect data on that audience.
Data about what they love watching, reading and listening to, when and where they love doing that, and about the kind of things they choose to share and comment on. In return we will be able to offer personalised suggestions about what we know they’ll love to watch, read or listen to, and notify them when it’s available; one that remembers key information like what their favourites are across all their devices, and where they live so they automatically receive localised information like weather and traffic reports.
The myBBC project are building capabilities such as profile, recommendations, notifications, love button and share tools, which are being integrated across all the online products – News, Sport, iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, Homepage etc.
About myBBC UAS
myBBC UAS is responsible for storing the signed in users’ activity & providing this data for delivering high quality personalised and non-personalised recommendations for users of world-class BBC products such as News, Sport, iPlayer and HomePage. It’s a high volume (25,000 rps) system with multiple up and down-stream clients. We have also written a segmentation service and are currently developing a metadata enrichment service.
If you are passionate about using emerging web technologies to deliver exciting and accessible user experiences then we would love to hear from you.
If you don’t currently match the job spec completely then don’t let this dissuade you from applying. We’re looking for intelligent people who are quick to learn and adapt. The BBC is the perfect place to do just that: we invest heavily in helping our engineers to grow in all aspects of their career.Role Responsibility
The primary focus of this role is on the creation and maintenance of RESTful web services, written in Java and deployed on AWS. You will be expected to be familiar with technologies such as Spring, Camel, JUnit, Mockito. Knowledge of AWS, including SQS, SNS, DynamoDB etc. will help to get you started quickly.
Being involved in the full life cycle of the products, you’ll need to be able to adapt quickly to new or changing requirements, produce rapid prototypes and communicate effectively with the team as a whole, not just other engineers.
We’re agile in our development with a multi-disciplinary team working closely with a Product Owner, Business Analyst, Architect and Project Manager along with dedicated QA.
As we receive high levels of traffic, you will be responsible for ensuring the services remain performant and scalable to meet the ever growing demands.The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience of engineering projects that you’ve delivered (provide links where possible)
- Strong object-oriented Java skills, including Spring, Camel, JUnit, Mockito
- Experience with best practice engineering processes such as TDD and BDD
- A team player who helps others to grow and improve
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of deploying production code in a Continuous Integration environment
- Experience with Cloud Services and their associated technologies, ideally AWS
- Knowledge of working with Git or other modern source code control system
- Agile development experience
Hiring process: You will be required to complete a technical challenge and if successful you will be invited to attend an assessment centre. The assessment process has been designed to offer a fair selection process to showcase your strong skills. The event will be run by our own team of BBC Software Engineers. Successful candidates will receive an invitation to attend our next assessment centre scheduled for Friday 17th March 2017 in our London HQ - New Broadcasting House, W1A 1AA. We will be hiring on the same day.Package Description
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
Sorry this job has been removed from Creativepool
UI Developer- Agency - Contract
Closing 25 May 2017
- Sphere Digital Recruitment
- temp, temp to perm
- Rate DOE
PHP Developer/Senior/Wordpress/Front-end - £40,000
Closing 26 May 2017
- Preferred Choice Limited
- £35,000 to 40,000 p/a
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.