Head of Production Drama Series & Serials - BBC TAGSThis job listing has expired
BBC Studios is looking for a Head of Production, Drama Series and Serials to lead and inspire the production management team. This is a senior role, with specific production management accountability for all pan-UK network output. This is a unique opportunity for any experienced Head of Production, with responsibility for an unrivalled breadth and quality of drama output. BBC Studios attracts the very best creative talent and the most forward thinking global production and broadcast partners. Following its launch as an independent, wholly owned commercial subsidiary of the BBC, the opportunity to join BBC Studios at a senior level, and at this point in its history, is an extraordinary one.
- Development and implementation of operational and financial strategy linked to the pan-UK genre’s long-term content strategy (TV and multiplatform)
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for driving efficient and effective deployment of approved technologies on productions.
- Responsible for engaging with Technology staff in shaping and planning technology projects
- Accountable for benefits realisation associated with major technology projects
- Responsible for budgeting and delivering Series and Serials production fees in accordance with the Scripted business plan
- Ensures Network commissioning requirements are fully understood in order to develop viable proposals.
- Accountable for ensuring the price of each commission is agreed with commissioning and that complete delivery is feasible within the proposed timeframe.
- Accountable for the green light process for all Network TV and multiplatform content for the genre and authorising the start of productions, ensuring resources and editorial aspirations are aligned.
- Works closely with the Head of Commercial to identify opportunities for commercial exploitation at an early stage and ensure the requirements of commercial investors are achievable. Accountable for highlighting any public service issues relating to commercial exploitation of content.
- Accountable for consistency of approach in scheduling, budgeting and managing productions across the UK production base in line with relevant BBC frameworks and requirements.
- Responsible for planning and managing capacity (resources and people) in line with strategic objectives and commissions won for all Network productions in the genre.
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for delivering outstanding creative results within budget and on time.
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for ensuring an understanding of - and compliance with - BBC policies, guidelines, legislative and regulatory requirements (with particular emphasis on Health & Safety and Editorial Policy) in order to minimise the BBC’s exposure to risk.
- Accountable for ensuring production teams understand the vital importance of acquiring all necessary rights in a timely manner to enable the BBC and commercial partners to produce, broadcast and otherwise exploit its content.
- Responsible for supporting negotiations for on-air talent and key contributors where necessary.
- Accountable for resolving material operational and financial issues commensurate with the role.
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for delivering demonstrable value for money through effective management of people and resources.
- Accountable for decisions required to manage the financial and operational performance of the pan-UK genre production area based on expert knowledge and financial information.
- Responsible for the strategic allocation of funding and - where necessary – approving, setting, reviewing and monitoring budgets.
- Oversees assessment of the financial viability of content ideas, identifying and mitigating any risks.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate financial support is provided by Finance on high financial risk/complex productions and/or across a portfolio of productions.
- Responsible for supporting Technology (particularly Information & Archives) in the development of policy and guidelines relating to metadata and media assets.
- Accountable for ensuring robust processes are in place throughout the production process for fully and accurately capturing and managing metadata in line with BBC guidelines and policies.
- Accountable (with support from editorial colleagues) for ensuring Information & Archives have the necessary information to efficiently manage, retain and delete media assets.
- Ensures adequate training, development and performance management arrangements are in place in line with BBC guidelines and policies.
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for integrating safety and risk management into the production process. Advises on safety and risk issues and agrees BBC Safety action plans.
- Accountable for working with Procurement to implement the strategy for the procurement of production resources, developing supplier frameworks and lists, and ensuring compliance with them.
- Jointly accountable with senior editorial colleagues for establishing and overseeing plans for business continuity and disaster recovery in the production area ensuring links with the overall plans for each division.
The Ideal Candidate
This is a compelling role for the right individual and will require extensive experience of production and production management; also of managing a significant production area or business. The right candidate will have been involved in the production of major programmes, and will have run a diverse portfolio of scripted projects. The Head of Production, Series and Serials will be responsible for overseeing large teams across a broad range of output and locations, requiring first-class leadership skills. Within BBC Studios, this person will contribute at a senior level to the overall management and leadership of the genre.
BBC Studios is a powerhouse of bold British creative content, leading the way in creative storytelling, known and celebrated around the world for the quality of its programmes.
Recent and ongoing productions have included Doctor Who, Rillington Place, Luther, Father Brown, Our Girl, Silent Witness, Thirteen, Class, and War and Peace.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background
Sorry this job has been removed from Creativepool
Head of Digital Design - Publishing - £90-£100K
Closing 15 September 2017
- Preferred Choice Limited
- £90,000 to 100,000 p/a
Junior Producer for Head
Closing 11 September 2017
Want more Head of Production Drama Series & Serials - BBC TAGS jobs?
Want to find more Studio Manager jobs, Production Editor jobs, Production Manager jobs, Head of Production jobs, Series Director jobs, Series Producer jobs, Studio Director jobs, Studio Producer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.