Creative Executive (Film4) - Channel 4
Film4 is Channel 4 Television’s feature film division. Film4 develops and co-finances films and is known for working with the most distinctive and innovative talent in UK and international filmmaking, whether new or established.
Film4 has developed and co-financed many of the most successful UK films of recent years, Academy Award®-winners such as Lenny Abrahamson’s Room, Alex Garland’s Ex Machina, Asif Kapadia’s box office record breaking documentary Amy, Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave, Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire and Phyllida Lloyd’s The Iron Lady, in addition to critically-acclaimed award-winners such as Mike Leigh’s Mr. Turner, Chris Morris’s Four Lions, Shane Meadows’ This is England, Clio Barnard’s The Selfish Giant, Jonathan Glazer’s Under the Skin, David Mackenzie’s Starred Up and Yann Demange’s ’71.
Film4’s recent releases include Ben Wheatley’s Free Fire, Danny Boyle’s T2 Trainspotting, Andrea Arnold’s American Honey, Todd Haynes’ Carol, Sarah Gavron’s Suffragette, Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Lobster and Andrew Haigh’s 45 Years. Forthcoming releases include Martin McDonagh’s Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Andrew Haigh’s Lean on Pete, Clio Barnard’s Dark River, Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Lynne Ramsay’s You Were Never Really Here, Rungano Nyoni’s I Am Not a Witch, John Cameron Mitchell’s How To Talk To Girls At Parties, Michael Pearce’s Beast, Paddy Considine’s Journeyman, Toby MacDonald’s Old Boys, Benedict Andrews’ Una and Baltasar Kormákur’s The Oath. Films in production include Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Favourite, Bart Layton’s American Animals, Mike Leigh’s Peterloo, Steve McQueen’s Widows, Stephen Merchant’s Fighting With My Family, Sebastián Lelio’s Disobedience, Garth Davis’s Mary Magdalene and Asif Kapadia’s Maradona.
The Creative Executive is principally required to work with the Head of Creative to ensure a flow of strong ideas and projects for Film4 through to production and also to nurture, develop and manage relationships with creative talent. This role in particular, focusses on discovering new talent and developing it, often in conjunction with other public funders and partners. Short filmmaking is sometimes used in this role as a way of allowing new talent to test their ideas before embarking on their first feature.
• In collaboration with the Head of Creative, to progress and implement Film4’s creative strategy.
• Proactively seek out new talent to develop ourselves.
• Work closely with key partners to support new talent towards making their first and second low budget features
• Help shape and build the slate.
• Help ensure sufficient high quality projects convert to production.
• Keep close track of the industry both nationally and internationally.
• Understand wider issues facing the industry and to help Film4 navigate and respond to a changing landscape. Understand the wider industry from a commercial viewpoint and help Film4 be a leader working towards a more sustainable UK film industry.
• Manage and quality control a wide range of often challenging development projects - oversee and manage any complexities that arise.
• Oversee creative aspects of the production process including script, casting, conception of scale, financial approach, editing and press & marketing in collaboration with the wider Film4 team.
• Brief and inspire production companies and be able to speak on public platforms.
• Represent Film4 nationally and internationally at certain markets and certain festivals.
• Work effectively with other parts of the Channel - e.g. legal and compliance, marketing, press, other commissioning areas such as drama, arts, specialist factual etc.
• Look and think internationally
• Work with and help manage the junior team and support career growth in the team.
• Help formulate and take responsibility for systems and processes within the creative team.
• Have a strong awareness of the challenges facing the industry in terms of representation and put this at the centre of the decision making process
Essential Experience & Skills
• Demonstrable knowledge of the British and international film industries with wide connections in film and parallel creative industries (e.g. theatre, TV and publishing and agents)
• Strong demonstrable knowledge and experience of the development process
• Strong demonstrable knowledge and experience of the creative aspects of the production process including script, casting, conception of scale, financial approach, editing and press & marketing
• An extremely high standard of demonstrated script editing and note making experience
• Strong existing talent relationships across film and creative industries and ability to find and build new ones
• Proven ability to seek out and build projects
• Creative and practical flair and a constant flow of new ideas and different approaches
• Demonstrable experience in successfully collaborating with production companies
• Fast and reliable response to scripts and a high turnover rate. Good organisational skills
• Good communication skills in order to interact confidently and effectively with staff and external providers both verbally and written
• Confidence in working independently, autonomously and taking initiative
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Passion for film, theatre and creative writing talent
Desirable Experience & Skills
• International film experience
Freelance Production/Studio Co-ordinator
Closing 17 September 2017
- Gemini People
- £180 to 220 /day
Animation Producer for Casual Films
Closing 15 September 2017
- Casual Films
- £30,000 to 39,000 p/a
Want more Creative Executive (Film4) - Channel 4 jobs?
Want to find more Project Manager jobs, Assistant Script Editor jobs, Production Assistant jobs, Script Editor jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.